Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Collection Of Coins From Portugal

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 173 / Views: 3,606Next Topic
Page: of 12
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3333 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
this is a really freaky looking coin to me

I also have this coin and have thought that too.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
United States
1718 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2021  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Today's coin commemorates the International Year of the Child. The front says "Give me your love". Poland released a Zloty also commemorating the year.

The Netherlands Antilles also minted a coin (0.925 silver) to commemorate the International Year of the Child. I think that one is pretty nice actually.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces35986.html
Pillar of the Community
United States
4365 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today's coin is the Escudo, the base of Portuguese currency from 1910 to 2002.

This same design was used for both the Escudo and 50 Centavos, it was also the longest used being minted for 41 years. The Key is 1935 when 54,300 were minted.

Issuer: Portugal
Period: Second Republic (1926-1974)
Type: Standard circulation coin
Years: 1927-1968
Value: 1 Escudo (1 PTE)
Currency: Escudo (1911-2001)
Composition: Copper-nickel
Weight: 8 g
Diameter: 26.5 mm
Thickness: 1.75 mm
Shape: Round
Technique: Milled
Orientation: Medal alignment
Demonetized: Yes
References: KM# 578, Schön# 36
Mintage (1966): 2,607,000
Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4365 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today's coin celebrates the reinstatement of sovereignty after the period of Spanish rule between 1580 and 1640.

Portugal was plunged into a royal crisis in 1587 following the death of the young King D. Sebastião at the battle of Alcácer Quibir in North Africa.

The King of Spain, Philip II, seized this regal vacuum and invoked his right to succession - he was the grandson of D. Manuel I of Portugal. He ascended to the throne and managed to achieve an Iberian Union for the first and only time.

With Philip II as King, Portugal became involved in a war with the traditional enemies of Spain, such as England and the Low Countries. Portugal lost a great part of its naval fleet and much of its empire - though they did manage to thwart Dutch ambitions in Africa and South America.

Fearing for the loss of Portugal's status, a revolution was led by the nobility and high bourgeoisie. On December 1st 1640, 60 years after the crowning of Philip I, the Portuguese monarchy was restored and a new ruling dynasty, the House of Bragança, was founded.

The coin:

Period: Third Republic (1974-date)
Type: Non-circulating coin
Year: 1990
Value: 100 Escudos (100 PTE)
Composition: Silver (.925)
Weight: 18.5 g
Diameter: 33 mm
Thickness: 2.8 mm
Orientation: Coin alignment
Demonetized: 2001
References: KM# 651a
Mintage (Proof): 15,000
Edited by hfjacinto
10/26/2021 08:54 am
Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lovely coin! Thank you for sharing it and the history.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1718 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fun coin. It reminds me of the "Three Musketeers".
Pillar of the Community
United States
4365 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today's coin commemorates April 25, 1974 the year Portugal overthrew the dictatorship of Estado Novo and created the 3rd republic. This was also known as the carnation revolution as the soldiers were given carnations to put into their guns.

The coin.

Period: Third Republic (1974-date)
Type: Circulating commemorative coin
Year: 1976
Value: 250 Escudos (250 PTE)
Composition: Silver (.680)
Weight: 25 g
Diameter: 37 mm
Thickness: 3 mm
Orientation: Coin alignment
References: KM# 604, Gomes# R 139.01
Mintage (Proof): 10,000

Pillar of the Community
United States
4365 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Money and Portugal

While much can be written about the fall of the 2nd Republic (end of Estado Novo or the New State) , little is known about how "Currency" caused the fall of the 1st Republic and indirectly helped lead to the fall of the 2nd.

In 1924 Alves Do Reis a Portuguese embezzler and counterfeiter hatched a plan to make fake 500 escudo notes. It consisted of forging a contract in the name of Banco de Portugal (Bank of Portugal)—the central bank, responsible for issuing banknotes and partly private at the time—authorizing him to print banknotes in return for an alleged loan from a consortium to develop Angola. His plan was to use the contract to convince a legitimate banknote printing contractor to make the notes, thereby obtaining notes that would be indistinguishable from those legitimately authorized by the bank.

And while the plan almost fell apart a few times (for example the printer Waterlow and Sons Limited sent a letter to the Bank of Portugal to confirm the printing and the letter was lost), he was successful. He was able to have Waterlow print 200,000 banknotes of 500 Portuguese escudos (which was equivalent to 0.88% of Portugal's nominal GDP at the time) with an image of Vasco da Gama, with the date of 17 November 1922, to a total face value of 100 million escudos. There were almost as many false 500 escudos banknotes as real ones. First delivery was made in February 1925, one year after the real 500 escudo banknotes with the image of Vasco da Gama began to circulate.

This much extra money caused a small economic boost to the economy. And while there were inklings that there was counterfeit money in the economy no could prove it since the notes were not actually in the sense counterfeit as the printer used the same plates. But Alves was eventually caught as the serial numbers of the duplicates actually ran into what was "really" printed by the Bank of Portugal.
Eventually Alves was caught and sent to jail, but as the 1st republic already had issues, many people believed that the "Portuguese Bank Note Crisis" was actually caused by the Government. The Portuguese Bank Note Crisis eventually led to the end of the 1st republic and the creation of the Estado Novo. Reis was released in 1945 and died in 1955 a pauper.

One of the "counterfeit" bank notes:

Since we learned how a bank note caused the start of the 2nd republic, we will learn how another bank note eventually caused the start of the 3rd republic.

While Estado Novo wasn't purely tyrannical, vast parts of the economy were managed by families (such as banking, transport, manufacturing, beer, etc), there was a dissatisfaction with the economic conditions in Portugal compared to the rest of Europe. And while Salazar opened up the economy in the late 50's and caused the median GDP of Portugal to grow at a fast rate, the country was behind many others.

As also one of the last holders of colonies (especially Angola and Mozambique) the European community had issues with Portugal. When the colonies started rebelling an unpopular war was started. Several army captains realizing that this was a chance to abolish the 2nd republic hatched a plan so audacious that it was expected to fail (but so few knew about it that a risk was taken).

Hermínio da Palma Inácio (1922, Lagoa, Faro District - 2009) was a Portuguese revolutionary against the Salazar dictatorship. While he is most famous for hijacking an airplane in 1961 Morocco, forced it to fly over Lisbon dropping leaflets calling for free elections. He then allowed the plane to return to Morocco, apologized to the passengers, presented all the ladies on board with a rose, and then vanished only to reappear 6 years later.

In 1965 Portugal had printed new 1000 escudo note and had shipped them to the Banco Do Portugal treasury in Figueira Da Foz. On May 17, 1967 Herminio with a group of revolutionaries invaded Banco de Portugal's agency in Figueira da Foz and were able to get away with 29 million escudos in banknotes. They were able to get 1965 1000 Escudo Notes:

The notes were eventually moved to Bragançã and helped in the financing of the 1974 revolution. While at the time Herminio was considered a traitor, Mário Soares, who became the President in the 3rd Republic gave him the Order of Liberty , a high Portuguese honor that distinguishes important services to the cause of democracy and freedom, in the defense of the values of civilization and human dignity.

This brings us to one of my favorite notes from Portugal
Two days after the bank robbery, in order to prepare for the withdrawal of the banknote types that had been robbed, the General Council of Banco de Portugal decided that 12 million notes of 1,000 escudos already in possession of the bank, should be rapidly finalized for its first issue.
By the end of that troubled month of May, the first banknotes of 1,000 escudos featuring Queen Maria II were thus put in circulation much ahead of what had been expected.

Of the 3 notes presented, only the last one (1967 1000 escudos) is mine, the other 2 are rarities and are costly.
Edited by hfjacinto
10/27/2021 11:33 am
Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2021  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like how modern this design looks. It is very interesting. A nice looking coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4365 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back to classic coins. This is the 1st escudo (not the 1914 commemorative), sadly this design only lasted 2 years, this is a dollar/crown sized coin in Silver.

Period: First Republic (1910-1926)
Years: 1915-1916
Value: 1 Escudo (1 PTE)
Composition: Silver (.835)
Weight: 25 g
Diameter: 37 mm
References: KM# 564
Mintage (1915): 1,818,000
Edited by hfjacinto
10/28/2021 07:51 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1718 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When was the last silver Escudo minted?
Learn More...
United States
106380 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This is the 1st escudo (not the 1914 commemorative), sadly this design only lasted 2 years, this is a dollar/crown sized coin in Silver.
A lovely example!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4365 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2021  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When was the last silver Escudo minted?

NumisEd, the silver Escudo was a 3 year issue:
1914 - Commemorative of 1910 (founding of Republic)
1915 and 1916 - Silver Escudo shown above

After that they went to non precious metal.
Edited by hfjacinto
10/28/2021 09:36 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4365 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2021  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Portugal released Centavos in:

1 Centavo
2 Centavos
4 Centavos
5 Centavos
10 Centavos
20 Centavos
50 Centavos

And while I can understand all, the 4 Centavos was to me a little strange.

I never understood why one would need a 4 Centavos coin, as you could use a 5 Centavo and get change or 2 2 Centavos. That is until I learned a little more about the Real (coin prior to the Escudo/Centavo). In the time of the kings, 20 Réis = a Víntem and 40 Réis = a Pataco, when the change over to Escudo occurred in 1910, the rate was set at 1000 Réis = 1 Escudo, so 1 Centavo = 10 Réis, 2 Centavo = 20 Réis/Víntem and 4 Centavos = 40 Réis/1 Pataco, hence the 4 Centavos is a relic of the Real.

First the 4 Centavo which was a 2 year issue (1917 and 1919)

Period: First Republic (1910-1926)
Years: 1917-1919
Value: 4 Centavos (0.04 PTE)
Composition: Copper-nickel
Weight: 6.9 g
Diameter: 25 mm
Thickness: 2.1 mm
References: KM# 566
Mintage (2019): 10,067,000

And then the Pataco, I actually got this one from my Grandmother. I would like to get a better condition one but they are expensive and in generally poor shape. This is a very large and heavy coin.

King: Miguel I (1828-1834)
Years: 1828-1833
Value: Pataco = 40 Réis (40)
Currency: Real (mechanical coinage, 1678-1835)
Composition: Bronze
Weight: 38.2 g
Diameter: 36.5 mm
References: KM# 391, Gomes# Mi 03, Gomes# Mi 04
Mintage(1931): 1,391,000
Edited by hfjacinto
10/29/2021 08:59 am
Page: of 12 Previous TopicReplies: 173 / Views: 3,606Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: