Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1937 Antietam Half- Thoughts And Grade

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 351Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
219 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  2:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
would appreciate your general thoughts and grade on this 1937 Antietam half I just bought. note the marks across his cheek are in the plastic holder and only visible under very high resolution. thanks for the input. Now searching for the Gettysburg!

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19247 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice undisturbed luster including on the high points.
MS-65.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62691 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to see more light on the surfaces, but 65 seems right.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6724 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the remaining charcoal gray toning seen in Lee's beard on the obverse and in multiple locations on the reverse, I suspect that the coin was dipped at some point in its past. It's still a nice looking coin and its apparent luster indicates that it was not "over dipped." Congrats on the purchase.

Can you provide more details on the marks on Lee's forehead? The cut in Lee's eyebrow is easy to see, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at re: the curved lines above the Lee's left eye and in his hair above the part line.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7335 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  05:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its one of my favorite classic silver commemorative designs - congratulations on the purchase.

It would help to have additional lighting on the surfaces, the shadows make it difficult to assess the coin condition. The visible cut in Lee eyebrows holds the coin back from gem state, so I say at best MS64.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have taken two new photos of the Antietam Half obverse for your evaluation and grade. The coin is in a NGC holder. I hope these are better thanks for your help.

Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Antietam is in an NGC holder graded MS 66+ and Surprised that estimates here were only in the MS 64-65 range. I know NGC sometimes not a favorite TPG but coin was just purchased from Great Collections which has a very good reputation.
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 351Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: