Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 Proof Washington Quarter. Would This Be Considered Re-Engraved?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 419Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4885 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  4:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have this 1964 Proof Washington quarter and while I do know that there are some years with re-engraved dies those pertain to only the tail feathers. On this quarter I see where the eagles left wing has been re-engraved. Not really a quarter guy but could this possibly be considered as a re-engraved die even though it is centered only on the wing or is this a common thing?

Pillar of the Community
United States
614 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it, let's wait for some of the others to chime in
Tim Hughes
Pillar of the Community
United States
2604 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't look as sharp as the re-engraving on the Lincoln cents from 1953.

Do you have a link to share showing the other re-engraving from the quarter series?
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DACWG183 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know the answer to your question as I am just getting started. But I wanted to say that is a beautiful coin. Stunning.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54594 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not familiar with this one, but considering the weakness on the rest of the die, it maybe one. No wonder they created a new master hub for design for the 1965 design. I've not noticed this before. Thanks for posting this.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
4885 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  05:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. Pete, I just go to VV and look at the designs on the quarters. There is a tab for this on every denomination that they attribute.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2604 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks guys. Pete, I just go to VV and look at the designs on the quarters. There is a tab for this on every denomination that they attribute.

Thanks Jim.
There is a tab for Re-engraved designs? I don't get out of my Lincoln "shell" very much so I'll definitely check it out.

Any chance you could give a fellar a link to the re-engraved dies for Washington quarters?

Coop brings up a good point about a new master hub this year. I always thought it was because of switching from silver to clad coinage but maybe it was because of the weakness in the master hub.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Edited by Petespockets55
09/21/2021 08:00 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3618 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  08:05 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks incuse, not raised? So this might be a re-engraved hub, not a re-engraved die like the popular RED varieties.

I just went through some of the PCGS images for the 64 proofs. Most if not all of them have this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4885 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Tanman! Now I know.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54594 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were enhanced on the hub, that would explain why it was incuse. I checked other sources and left a message with Mike Diamond on this one.

Added
Just check PCGS and nothing was mentioned there, but looking at examples there, they all look like that. Just normal design.

1964-D business strikes, no enhancement on the feathers:

1964-D Type C feathers a bit stronger compared with the 1965 design:
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Edited by coop
09/21/2021 11:52 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54594 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the answer to the original question:

Quote:
1964 Proof Washington quarter. Would This Be Considered Re-Engraved?

It does appear as re-engraved on the proof quarters, but all of them are the same, thus it is a common event. So no premium for this. (Learned something new from this thread today)
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
4885 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did as well, Coop!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54594 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The more you dig into a subject the more you learn.

Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
2089 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As Coop concluded, this appears to be a re-engraved working hub. I'm surprised I've never heard of this particular re-engraved hub before.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54594 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well all the proof quarters have this alteration to them. So they may have made a second master hub for the proof die. I didn't realize how worn the reverse master hub was until this subject came up. I only focused on the tail feathers in the past. This thread has opened my eyes on widening out view of the master hub wear.
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
09/21/2021 12:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1797 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was hoping you had something there Jim. I look for the 1957D Washington but they are incredibly rare if I haven't spotted one yet. One member here has one.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 419Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: