Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2007 Washington Quarter With Multiple Errors Is This Valuable?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 544Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
5646 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I'm seeing is a badly damaged quarter--it did not leave the mint's striking camber in that condition. Hypothetical pricing would be irrelevant since a coin as pictured couldn't be freshly minted.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add J2LAX4XO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A machine rolls the letters on to these coins as a last step after they have been struck am I correct?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2369 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A machine rolls the letters on to these coins as a last step after they have been struck am I correct?

That is not correct. There are two dies, obverse and reverse, that contain all the detail. Those dies are pressed together under high pressure with the coin blank between. All detail is stamped onto the coin in a single action.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3587 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

No.. there is 2 dies, and a collar that engages.. everything is struck at the same time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12085 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
J2LAX4XO
Suggest you read up on how coins are struck and then you would realize
that it would be impossible for what happened to your coin to have happened during the striking of the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5646 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do a google search for "how US coins are minted". Lots of information on the minting process.
Edited by ijn1944
09/20/2021 5:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
damaged. I was sceptical about peoples opinions here at first but once your realize how the coin is made you realize there is only so many things(errors or die damage) that can happen during the production of a coin. There is a set list of errors if it does not fall into any of the possible errors that leaves damage as the culprit. There is a set amount of things that can cause errors, but an infinite amount of possibilities for PMD(post mint damage) many of these members are pros and some even write the books on this stuff, you can take there opinions to the bank.
Pillar of the Community
United States
741 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is really no question about it, it is damaged by heat. They actually show up on here quite often. As suggested, do a little research on how coins are made and you will see that there is no way this could happen during the minting process. In fact, check out this other post,http://goccf.com/t/407882
Edited by lcutler
09/20/2021 6:15 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61751 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2021  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2515 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This type of damage throws people for a loop quite often. I have a dime with a similar bubble, but more pronounced on the reverse. I've held onto my dime for educational purposes.

BTW- There is damage to the reverse. The flat area below "EVERGREEN" is opposite the bubble that is on the obverse.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Learn More...
United States
105068 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7187 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We have been seeing a lot of these heat damaged coins lately. These must be a sale on blow torches nationwide.
ša va bien aller

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 544Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05