Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With Identifying An Error On A 1977 Dime - Design Creep?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 502Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41190 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. My first thought was a struck through a capped die,nice.Check eBay sold values for an idea on current value
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2490 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on a very nice find. You and your mom deserve "gold stars" for your powers of observation and images.

Very Late stage die cap was my first inkling as well.
The obverse design is almost unaffected by a previous coin covering the die face.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1755 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool coin. I just saw a similar one sell for $45 on eBay.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jazzh30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! Thanks for all the help!
Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jazzh30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As Coop correctly observed, the obverse was struck through a late-stage die cap.
Error coin writer and researcher.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jazzh30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much! I really appreciate the info!
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jazzh30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are these rare or valuable? Some of the etsy prices are crazy, and I suspect overblown.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41190 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ignore Esty. Willburton gave you good advice. Just check eBay sold values.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jazzh30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bad, I meant Ebay (responding while doing day-job makes for stupid errors), but will check out specifically sold coins. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
633 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with John1 that etsy is a bad idea to look up prices, and there is another thread on here highlighting the worst coins on etsy, ebay, elsewhere. At least we agree on this being a cool genuine error, and I enjoy helping folk out as do others here .
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 502Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05