Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identify Spanish Colonial

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 266Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  12:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Luannp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am not a coin collector. I believe this is a Spanish Colonial coin dated 1534. I purchased it while traveling in Peru about 15 years ago at an Outdoor Market. I dont know much about it so any additional info would be much appreciated.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
41190 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not my area,but to CCF.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12011 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks similar to a cob Bolivian 8 reales, but the legends/dates don't seem to match up. My guess is some sort of reproduction.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Learn More...
United States
20829 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@luann, since this purports to be a Bolivian cob, I'm going to move your thread over to the world coin subforum. Hopefully a few folks over there can weigh in on this piece.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2370 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a fantasy coin based on a Potosi cob. The pillars and waves design makes sense for 1684, not 1584. And besides that problem, there's another date of 86. Whoever made it wasn't hung up on getting dates right. Here's an example of what might be the model for it:

https://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/..._VR_8_reales

Beyond that, the lettering is too perfect. Very few cobs are struck so well centered either. The regent appears to be Phillipus II, which is correct for 1584, but Potosi didn't start producing this style of cob until the 1650's.

How much does it weigh?
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
09/22/2021 11:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1618 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  04:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A useful first-hand account of the source origin of such fantasy imitations or tribute coins... really not meant as "numismatic fakes" attempting to fool collectors, but rather intended as tourist trinkets.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 266Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05