Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Oversized Lettering! Is This A Error Of ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 337Next Topic  

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  8:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Xancerith to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm a penny collector for the most part. Is this right what I think it is the word America quite a bit larger
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
770 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to be typical for the font of that era coin, from the 60's. There may be some extra size due to the die and circulation wear too.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53931 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have to compare it with other coins from the same year. There were several different reverses for the Memorial reverse the 2008 Was RDV-007 that started in 1993. Same for obverses. The design/die wear/polishing can affect the design and Machine Doubling can affect the strike.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Xancerith to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also have this cent
Edited by Xancerith
09/21/2021 9:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3326 Posts
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Xancerith to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry guys I really don't know to much about cents errors values what to look for etc. I was being selfish hoping to learn from some pretty knowledgeable fellows like y'all. I can see now that y'all ain't here to hold no one's hand. But to discuss the treasures y'all have aquired. An from what little I've seen they are awesome. I do know that I love finding these coins an will continue in hopes to someday be part of some thing real that I love. Ty guys an my apologies once again
Learn More...
United States
20869 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was being selfish hoping to learn

@xan, first welcome to CCF. Second, no need to apologize--if you look at our motto, it is "Education is the key to collector success!" You learning is why we are here.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Xancerith to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that makes me feel allot better. I just hope to not waste anyone's time by answering a stupid question. Tyvm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
770 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There were no stupid questions asked by you. You need to carefully look at what we have given you in our responses and pick it apart. Do some researching on the web with the info we have put out there for you and you will understand more clearly, it does not come overnight. I have looked at hundreds of thousands of coins and there are folks on here that have looked at millions, so some are more familiar with what they may see. If you have more questions, then ask them, you will not learn much without doing so.
-makecents-
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53931 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dots are the first place to check on the wheat DDR's:

They become egg shaped.

Then look at the PLU on Pluribus:

The wheat stems and the AMERICA:

Even the wheat lines can show doubling:

Got them in mind yet?

Starting to note what to look for. Want to see more? Here is a monster, with a normal coin image on the top of each set of images:

https://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49...3_1C_DDR_FS-
So when you look at the DDRs, what area are you noticing the spread of the devices? On the centers of the devices. That is where to look. Hope this helps with your DDR searches.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
09/21/2021 10:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
645 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We enjoy helping new people here on coincommunity with whatever coin questions one has, and some of us like to stay in order to contribute as much as possible, like myself. (My name here mrwhatisit refers to those literal what-is-it nuministic items in my coin-collection in which I post to get more proper identification.)
That 1945 Lincoln cent is in average circulated condition, worth about 3-5 cents average unless one had some type of mint error which I don't see on this one. Spence said it well

Wow, 3 posts at the same time ...
Edited by mrwhatisit
09/21/2021 10:01 pm
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  01:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Xancerith to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You guys are very helpful. An I have been doing some research. I have one question about wheat pennies. Is there a very rare error in the wheat leaf to make it look as if the wheat leaf had a bug in it? Supposed to be very valuable
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  01:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Xancerith to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This one is missing a letter. Well almost. Lol. Is this normal wear an tear?
Pillar of the Community
United States
645 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  05:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are probably referring to a small cud/die-break and usually is only passing interest to others unless it becomes large enough to see easily, where the value starts adding up. And yes, your 1945 cent looks to me only common wear and tear in average circulated condition.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
770 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  05:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there a very rare error in the wheat leaf to make it look as if the wheat leaf had a bug in it? Supposed to be very valuable
There may be a rare Wheat cent that has this as a marker but it would not be rare because of the "bug", that is just a common die break you will see on a lot of the wheat cents.

Quote:
This one is missing a letter. Well almost. Lol. Is this normal wear an tear?
If you are referring to the "L" in LIBERTY, this is a common occurrence and can be caused by a multitude of reasons. The "L" is one of the most vulnerable points on any Lincoln cent, where it's so close to the rim. You will see this across ALL of the Lincoln series, from wheats to shields, where the obverse has stayed relatively the same, as far as the basic design.
It could be the result of Die Deterioration, circulation wear or a Grease Filled Die. Very common though, as you will see over time.
-makecents-
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 337Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05