Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

50$ Snowy Owl Coin, Possible Doubled Die?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 297Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  08:24 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I only have the one so it could be part of the normal design, I can see really clear notching on some of the letters, as well as some Machine Doubling but didn't bother to take a photo of that. I haven't inspected this since I got my scope so I figured why not. Can anyone tell me if this is part of the normal design? I apologize for the screen shots of a screen again, and it's in a sealed plastic container so I can't remove it.

I'm taking a shot in the dark based on my luck and going to assume it is just part of the design, I can try and get some better photos but it's tough

Edit:the notching is at the top of the D and right side mayb both sides of the A
Edited by Wrekkdd
09/22/2021 08:26 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I'm just going to write this one off, there is to much glare and distortion due to the covering and I think it does some weird stuff to my lighting. Mayb one day I'll crack it open and try and take a look, but I think I would have to carefully break the case.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
885 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but I think I would have to carefully break the case.

It is easy enough to separate the capsule halves with your thumb nail and patience. I've done it, then went...what have I done...and sealed it right back up. .

I wouldn't spend much time looking for NCLT errors. The Mint makes them nice for a reason.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya true say, I didn't see this in my 2015 Charlton album, it must be in a later issue. I'mhoping I can come across more of these at the bank, but it's rare(usually some druggie stole it and cashed it at the bank) or I could only assume. My friend at the bank has pulledd a few 20$ coins for himself. I'm assuming also MD is fairly common on these coin and proofs etc. Just like every other coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
885 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm hoping I can come across more of these at the bank

Out of curiosity, what did the bank charge you? I thought after entering the banking system, they had to be returned to the Mint, not reissued/resold. Don't get me wrong, if your friends are looking after you, by all means, accept the offers. Just curious, you don't need to reply.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only pay face for everything he gets me, so 50$ coin is 50$ I turned down the 100$ 2013 they had. 1$ bills cost 1$ 2$ bills for 2$, 1$ nickel coins 1$ 50 pieces 50, and pennies cost me a penny. He's got 20 more penny rolls for me today to pick up
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
885 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The good thing about that $50 coin, you paid face for, will still get you back the $50 investment you have in it. Not the 1/2 ounce of silver for melt.

You got a good thing going with that bank, cherish it, it may vanish quickly. Buy them some donuts.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's all due to the friend I made during my fake toonie debacle, I'll be going through his coins for him with my scope when I have time. He's got about 12 rolls of quarters and many loose change American coins. Having the connection at the bank is definitely special, I would not have been able to get most of the coins iv gotten without his help. Even though he's not a teller he is willing to do my change exchanges for me(get to skip the line) we usually do are exchanges in his office. I do agree I'll have to buy him a box of donuts, I'll get him donut monster, don't know if you have ever heard of them but amazing donuts and some weird flavors but there all good. The food scene in Hamilton has become amazing in the last 5 years or so.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1049 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wouldn't spend much time looking for NCLT errors. The Mint makes them nice for a reason.

I think they at least deserve a once/twice look over for good measure, I search all RCM coin products for doubled dies even if they are just meant for bullion value.

I discovered doubled dies on all the coins from the Little Wild Ones 4 coin sterling silver proof set a few months back that I thought was pretty cool.

Searching Canadian Small Cents daily since 2018.

Some of my Discoveries.
1941 Georgivs VI 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/367977
1951 Georgivs VI 1 Cent DDO Type 2 http://goccf.com/t/363635
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO Type 1 http://goccf.com/t/373627
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO Type 2 http://goccf.com/t/408163
1989 Belize 25 Cent's DDR http://goccf.com/t/362747
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice doubled die, your knowledge on this topic is top notch I can't wait for your book:)
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 297Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05