Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

125th Anniversary Of The Klondike Gold Rush - New Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 560Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6585 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  09:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The new 125th Anniversary of the Klondike Gold Rush commemorative coins are now posted on the Mint's web site.

In addition to products for the circulating dollar coin (plain and with colour varieties), there is also a one-ounce gold $200 coin ($3,995.95 CAD). The coins share a very similar design.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
09/22/2021 09:45 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice I'm going to have to keep my eyes out for these, mayb I'll looked through some toonie rolls today(if the rain stops)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8580 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You probably won't find any in toonie rolls as the circulation coins are one dollar coins.
I don't like the design, I have no idea why the moosehide is on it.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bad, meant loonie lol. My friend at the bank loves the commemorative coins,he will search for them and as soon as one hits his branch I'll have one. I told him to keep an eye out for mint rolls with them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8580 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a great arrangement to have.
A friend of my wife used to set aside new rolls for me, but she retired about four years ago.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, I'll be getting another 20 rolls of pennies from him today, to date he's gotten me about 7000 pennies I believe, most are copper cents or at least 80% of them. That's my favorite thing I'm getting lol. I'm becoming a penny hoarder :p
Pillar of the Community
Canada
613 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't like the design. I think it is too busy. The commem toonies last year were nicer than the toonie and loonie the mint has released this year IMO. The red mark (Moosehide) meaning is explained on the mint website. I think this will be lost on the vast majority of people who come across this coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
518 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I had to look up the reference from the mint website to get the context. Even the little blob of colour on the insulin Twoonie was somewhat obscure... While beauty is in the eye of the beholder, these two designs have not moved me either. Hoping that the Bluenose commemorative due later (November?) is more attractive than the $2 and $1 have been.

Additionally, I am not a big fan of the 1oz gold being so similar to the $2 and $1 coins. The larger palette offered by the full 30mm diameter should offer a cleaner design. In the case of the Insulin $2, removing the outer ring material cleaned up the design but there has been no attempt to simplify the $1 design when it was moved to the 1oz Gold version.

I am interested in whether there will be a 1oz gold Bluenose partner to the dime... The annual $100 gold already commemorates the Bluenose... And if there is a 1oz.. will it also be $3999.99 @ 450 mintage? None of the other 1oz gold releases from 2021 have sold out yet... Mintage too high for the collectible premium?

I may be mistaken but it has been a while since there were 4 separate 1oz gold releases in a year... will there be 5?
Edited by vonigohcr
09/22/2021 4:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
652 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The design is busy. Maybe a missed opportunity to appeal to young collectors?

LOL I thought I was the only one who didn't get the blob of colour on the insulin commemorative... guess I'm not alone!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2840 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find the 2021 Gold Rush 1 oz Bullion Coin much better looking and cheaper too.

Why pay for $4000 for the Gold Rush NCLT when you can get the bullion coin for $2400 - $2500.

Edited by MoneyPenney
09/23/2021 1:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
518 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@moneypenney 100%

If you look at the two (Bullion and 1oz NCLT) even forgetting the fact that one is 40% cheaper... from a quick look.. which of the two says "Gold Rush"; it is no contest in my mind.

Also the bullion coin is 5-9's pure vs the NCLT which is only 4-9's... though I am not sure that small a fraction of purity is meaningful in any sense other than maybe resale potential.

I have the bullion but won't be purchasing the NCLT. Funny.. more and more of my purchases are in the bullion side of the fence these days and not just RCM. Not stacking or "investing" but aesthetic appreciation of bullion designs.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 560Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05