Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Am I Missing? Canadian Coin Errors Exist But To What Extent?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 826Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1704 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  11:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So iv been thinking lately about errors on Canadian coins and am starting to think they're way more rare then American errors. Iv looked through about 50$ max in americain coins vs about 15,000$+ worth of Canadian coins and iv found a few minor americain errors but still haven't seen a single doubled die Canadian coin, or clip(thought iv seen some online) as well as struck through etc. The Canadian coin market is 1/10th that of the American if not 1/100, so it seems Canadian coins are much much harder to find true errors, and when you do they sell or are worth 1/10th what the same error on an American coin would go for. Is this simply due to the mintages? Are Canadian dies(also can't find much info on Canadian dies) much more maintained and created with more care and inspection then American dies?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
885 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apples and oranges. Reminds me of an old trades story....the Germans sent the smallest drill bit in the world to the British....the British sent it back with a hole drilled in it.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4288 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't comment on the frequency of errors, but you have to realize that the American coin market is unlike any other in the world. The demand for coins and errors of all kinds is huge, and a lot of people are looking for them roll hunting. Unlike Canada and its alloy recovery program, older coins have not been deliberately withdrawn from circulation. The mintage numbers are huge too, hence more errors are found, in actual numbers.
Learn More...
Canada
9904 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is this simply due to the mintages?

In part yes, the US mints an order of magnitude more coins in the same time frame.

NFLD errors are even more scarce, than Canadian errors. In the latter years, NFLD coins were made at the Royal Canadian Mint, and have much less errors simply due to their low mintages.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1704 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That all makes sense to me, I just figured I would have seen something by now, I prefer searching USA coinage due to the fact that I can actually find stuff. I don't even really find Die Deterioration on Canadian coins, especially modern coins. I know there is some doubled die Canadian coins but I don't think I ever really see them posted, the odd cent but no quarters or dimes. The USA has multiple or even hundreds of errors for every year and most denominations.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3930 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Believe me when I say that I'm not into errors after about 1920, but know that some folks in this forum do. If I had to guess, and I may be way way out, but I doubt that there are even 200 or so people that collect Canadian modern errors, especially minute or minor ones. And of those, I doubt that there are even 30 or so that are REALY into them. The recovery program mentioned above I'm sure has a large effect on availability, but the miniscule Canadian collector market probably affects it more. Of the millions and millions of modern Canadian coins minted, an actual buying population of less than 50 would grossly affect values. Every manufactured product does not come out 100% error free and even more so when generous tolerances are thrown into the mix. There are multiples of 2-300 collector interest when comparing the US to Canada when the actual physical populations are just a 10:1 ratio. Modern minor error collecting I think is relegated to a back-bench with Canadian collectors, but people go after what they enjoy, so go for it but don't count on any profit at all.
Edited by okiecoiner
09/22/2021 12:40 pm
Learn More...
Canada
9904 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The US also has a collector base probably 100 times that of Canada. So more collectors are searching and studying more coins.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1704 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya, I think there information on Canadian coins is much more limited then American, I still need to pick up and error book, and when I have some extra cash put aside there is a few books I plan on ordering.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
885 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The US also has a collector base probably 100 times that of Canada.

I feel that is low. Way, way more than 100 X. More like 10,00 X.

okie is nailing it. Go for what you enjoy.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Edited by loonielewy
09/22/2021 2:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1704 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never really got into the hobby to make money, though it's not like I'm against it. But I'm not anywhere close to selling coins atm, if I was I would be doing what some others do and just throw together random full sets from like 1930 to date and then put them up for 3-5 face value. But untill I feel I have my own nice collection and start getting doubles making money is out of the question. I like this hobby for me because of what I'm learning and because it's essentially free. And I keep everything I like seprate like the non round nickels and really anything 60+ years old. Thanks for the info and advice like always:)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3930 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wrekkdd ... You have a free Error book and computer/microscope setup waiting for free just 8 miles from where you live, along with a Nikon camera for chump change. You need to get over here before I give them to someone else.
Valued Member
Canada
227 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okiecoiner I'm willing to come from Markham to pick it up if he does take it and willing to pay for it. Lol
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1704 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@okiecoiner, I know thank you for being so patient, I will be up there asap I'll ask my friend who is letting me go through all her early 1900 Canadian coins if she can give me a ride this weekend. She would love the scope to look through her own coins . I really want the camera and error book, if I drove I would have been there the day of.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19151 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect that that there not any where near the number of Canadians looking for very minor errors in their coins as are Americans looking for very minor errors in theirs.

In this regard Canadians are more like the British or Europeans, and consider very minor errors in a much more trifling way.

It is a pity that the large body of expertise built up by American coin error collectors and researchers cannot be well spent in doing die linkage studies for ancient coins to consider date sequencing and mint die style.
I feel that they don't realize the high level of die identification skills that they have built up, and how those skills can be better utilized.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1579 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
wrekkdd ... You have a free Error book and computer/microscope setup waiting for free just 8 miles from where you live, along with a Nikon camera for chump change. You need to get over here before I give them to someone else.

And I am someone else if I could come from NZ
Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Pillar of the Community
Canada
673 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scissel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. but still haven't seen a single doubled die Canadian coin, or clip(thought iv seen some online).

I have owned hundreds of Canadian clipped coins, but I have never found any in pocket change. Most of the clipped coins were cents dated from the early 1960s up to about 1984. The mint must have tightened up the manufacturing process considerably after that. It's been almost 30 years since clipped coins have been regularly released & most were pulled out of circulation quickly - not many grade worse than ~ EF-40.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 826Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05