Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1834 Capped Bust Half Dollar Grade And Double/Triple Edge Lettering?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 388Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
699 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  02:40 am Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently purchased this 1834 bust half for a crazy good price. I am wondering what y'all's opinion on the grade is. It has a lot of mint luster which is suppressed by the original toning.

Also, I know bust halves commonly have edge errors, like basic word overlapping. But I've never seen clear, doubled edge lettering. The words "FIFTY CENTS OR" have dramatic doubling while "DOLLAR" has minor doubling. Is this error collectible and worth noting with the coin?

I am on the beginning of a Capped Bust half dollar date set journey, and this will be the fourth addition. I am aiming for VF+ and uncleaned coins.

Edited by jacrispies
09/23/2021 10:38 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19265 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  07:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-35.
The edge error may add perhaps $50 to the value.

Uncleaned coins suggests originality and no problems, but you may have to accept a variation in color or brightness in the building of such a set, and could take the rest of your life to complete, depending on your budget.
Pillar of the Community
United States
868 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very beautiful coin! That cool error has to add at least some value.
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My IS Type Set:
http://goccf.com/t/411655
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
ANA # 3204217
CONECA # Y-6505
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62954 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say EF-45.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3314 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7564 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool double lettering on a nice looking half!

I am at XF40 as well.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Valued Member
United States
455 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree with XF 40. I am working on this set as well trying to pick out interesting varieties for each date.

Be patient (a reminder to myself) to find the right coin at the right price. These have gone up quite a bit in the last year+.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1557 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF40
Pillar of the Community
United States
699 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the responses.
These pictures don't do the coin justice. I am still figuring out how to take good photos that show the luster.

Quote:
Be patient (a reminder to myself) to find the right coin at the right price. These have gone up quite a bit in the last year+.

I absolutely agree. Time is on my side for now, and I enjoy waiting for the right coin at the right price. This coin was bought from blurry pics on Ebay, and I am still giddy from the condition of this coin. It seems AU+ in hand.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2679 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
xF45 nice
Pillar of the Community
United States
1730 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if this is XF. I'm closer to VF-35.
Pillar of the Community
United States
699 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UPDATE: Upon further inspection, the edge lettering has tripling across all words. Not really sure if this makes it any more desirable, but I find it neat. Overton calls edge tripling "Very Rare."

Note the triple steps on O in DOLLAR. The T in CENTS has the first two letters stacked, followed with the third letter a distance away.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10907 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a LDS weaker strike on this lady. the lettering doubling is really cool. that clasp area is better than a 40 so we know we have some weakness in strike here. I think the obverse is 45 but it would down to XF40 overall
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 388Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: