Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

200x Dime Possible Struck Through Grease?

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 812Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Canada
277 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes a genuine strike through. Thanks SPP for the breakdown!
There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Valued Member
Canada
128 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All strike through "something" are unique.

Maybe with few exceptions, all of them will be different in terms of size and position.

And yes, you should keep this coin in a 2x2.
Edited by SP67
09/23/2021 3:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1636 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone, I'm actually surprised It is legit.i have been wrong many times about these sorts of things so this is probably my best error find to date(at least rarity and value wise) and I'm truly surprised because it's a Canadian coin:) makes me happier to find something on my own currency, hopefully the finds continue:) I'll have to do some research into these kinds of errors, I have done some but not nearly enough.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4831 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If someone offers 20 or 30 bucks for this dime, take it and run
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1636 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@john100, why would I do that? Even if my guess was still it is worth 2-3$ if someone offered me 20 I wouldn't sell it. Iv mentioned before if I found some 1000$+ coin then ya I'd think about selling it and but many smaller errors etc, I want to get a 180 rotated coin, wheelchair mule etc for my collection, but as for getting rid of a coin worth 1-100$ they are all mine:) can't be an error and variety hunter and collector without having any of them in you possession. Mayb if I have 3-5 of the same error and conventions were in my area I would sell a couple but not my only one of a specific error. I'm a collector not a dealer...well a novice starting collector lol.

Edit though I guess if I sold it for 20$ I could always buy another one for less Loli see some on ebay for fairly cheap, as iv stated I'm not sure exactly what make a struck through worth more or less, I know struck through retained objects are more valuable and if say half of the devices on a coin were completely gone from grease struck through, a bit of a higher premium. But idk what this is, just a deep Struck Through Grease or something, the only device that is missing is the 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 lol. Now if there was another error like a double die then I would expect a really nice premium because multiple errors is rare. I don't ever intend to sell anything on ebay so idk how I would ever go about selling anything. I'm an in person kind of guy.
Edited by Wrekkdd
09/23/2021 5:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1636 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could say the same thing about my double collar clash, just a die event but pretty rare(considering someone like coop has never seen one) but Mike confirmed they may be rare but no market and little if no premium. But if someone offered me 10$ for it I'd say no, if someone offered 50$ for it I would say no. I have seen single collar clashes sell for mayb 1$-3$ yet I can't see any listings for a double clash. Actually I can't find any info on it as a die variety, probably because no one cares lol, no different then a single clash even though it's twice as rare if not more. So if I got rid of it I may never have one again-_- don't want that to happen with any of the errors or varieties I find.

Edited by Wrekkdd
09/23/2021 5:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1636 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So as I originally thought definitely a struck through grease(or anything) weight is withing limits and above th3 base weight by a tiny but.
a really fun find for me:). I'm definitely improving at my searching skills thanks to my scope and this tells me I'm advancing in knowledge of the hobby more.

I recently went through some of my older posts and my comments and it makes me laugh a bit:p. Can't wait to see what I can find next.
Learn More...
Canada
9889 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As for value, just like anything else, condition matters. If this coin was mint state at MW-63 or better, it would be worth $25. Given that is has circulated, it is probably a $15 coin in the retail market. Some days you might get more, other days you might get less...
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1636 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SPP-Ottawa,thanks for the input, if I ever find a couple more examples like this then maybe I would sell one but I think I'm going to say for sentimental sake the first of any error I find will be a keeper:) it's an interesting error, to me this one is great because most people would pass it aside as damage(even knowledgeable error experts) and I managed to spot it:) it also seems like I might be on a small lucky streak for finds even if not crazy finds.

It seems enough knowledge has "seeped in" for me to grow a bit more. As everyone tells me research research research. Its helping.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1041 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So if I got rid of it I may never have one again-_- don't want that to happen with any of the errors or varieties I find

You would be surprised how many doubled dies I release back into the wild.... not because I didn't/don't want it or couldn't sell it, but mainly because I have a good amount of higher grade examples already, plus some put aside for future selling if I decided to, some were fairly major and I released them back into circulation after documenting them for my book so that someone else would have the chance to maybe find it.

Just like fishing, sometimes catch and release can be better than stockpiling too many of the same things.

This is a nice strike through though!
Searching Canadian Small Cents daily since 2018.

Some of my Discoveries.
1941 Georgivs VI 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/367977
1951 Georgivs VI 1 Cent DDO Type 2 http://goccf.com/t/363635
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO Type 1 http://goccf.com/t/373627
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO Type 2 http://goccf.com/t/408163
1989 Belize 25 Cent's DDR http://goccf.com/t/362747
Edited by JohnWayne007
09/23/2021 10:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1636 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JohnWayn007, I would love to see some of your findings, my scope is not great(but is good enough) for me to spot anything worth posting about. I will be at the front of the line for your book lol. I don't search many modern Canadian coins, I don't even know the spots to look for doubled dies on the single squeeze die coins for Canadian modern coins. I recently came across a thread with many different doubled dies listed including for you.
As for what I have looked at since I have gotten my scope it is mostly the American coins I have( mainly for the fact that there is so many references of what you can find) but this is a nice struck through for sure I'm happy to have found it.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 812Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05