Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973 LMC. ( Slant Ceiling?)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 279Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1145 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  12:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If this is or isn't a slanted ceiling. How does a slant ceiling become one?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
770 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking just a die gouge. I know there is hub doubling of the ceiling in the 80P but it is centralized. LINK https://doubleddie.com/828697.html
I was thinking there were others out there similar but could not find them.
-makecents-
Valued Member
United States
190 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin rejector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@makecents.... "I was thinking there were others out there similar but could not find them."

The 1992-D 1 WDDR-002 has a similar look, http://www.doubleddie.com/467734.html , but I agree w/ your assessment, the slanted ceiling is a die gouge.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
770 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 1992-D 1 WDDR-002 has a similar look, http://www.doubleddie.com/467734.html , but I agree w/ your assessment, the slanted ceiling is a die gouge.
Ah yes. Thanks! I remember thinking this listing might be the same thing.
-makecents-
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53931 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well on the 1992 it maybe an example of a class 9 doubled die. But this is a 1973 cent without the single squeeze issue. So it maybe just damage on that area. Note the line continuing above on the cornice? (follow the angle and your will see it NW of that area) So I feel this is not a DDR, but damage to the die.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
770 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well on the 1992 it maybe an example of a class 9 doubled die. But this is a 1973 cent without the single squeeze issue. So it maybe just damage on that area. Note the line continuing above on the cornice? (follow the angle and your will see it NW of that area) So I feel this is not a DDR, but damage to the die.
Yes sir, I agree on all counts. If the OP's coin was a doubled die, I would expect to see doubling somewhere else also, where it is not centralized. The Class IV, that you see on coins before the single squeeze, are the ones I've noticed being somewhat isolated but they are usually centralized, ears and doubled eyelids. That's why I thought this was nothing more than die damage of some sort.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2021  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This looks like die damage as others have said.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1145 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. I had my doubts also.

But how's bout the question. How does a slanted ceiling become one?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
770 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How does a slanted ceiling become one?
As stated above, more than likely a die gouge/damage. The die has taken a hit or gouged out, this created a small divot, which in turns makes a raised area on the coin when it is struck.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
United States
1145 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Yes makecents that makes cents. I agree for my coin.

How did the slanted ceiling happen on others.
Such as 1995-DDR-001,002,003?
Or 1992D-WDDR-002. 1995 WDDR-009.
How did they happened?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
770 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about doubled dies, I thought you were referring to yours. This is above my pay grade and am sure someone will come along to help more after my response. The short and long of it, is the working die is cone shaped, high at the center point and with the old system of multiple hubbings, sometimes the die is not soft enough to take the impression from the hub and has to be removed and heated again to soften the working die. Because this process is done manually, they may not be aligned properly when put back and the next hubbing will be misaligned, creating a doubled die. The cone shape is the key to this type of doubling, where only a particular part is doubled and not elsewhere. The 84P DDO-001 is one of the best examples of this.

H
Double die and hubbing process LINK https://doubleddie.com/58222.html

Class IV offset doubling LINK https://doubleddie.com/203906.html
-makecents-
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 279Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05