Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1856 1c Flying Eagle Cent

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,111Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
3377 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say PR-63. Fabulous coin, congrats!
Pillar of the Community
United States
586 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is on my wishlist, and due to the price, Ive been waiting on what I consider to be an "undergraded" example. I missed out on one a few years ago that was an old NGC PF64, then I saw the same coin at auction a few months later with a CAC in PCGS PF65 Holder. I'mstill cringing that I missed that one!

It is still a heck of a numismatic accomplishment to say you are able to own an 1856 Flying Eagle cent. I'mhaving to settle on trying to piece my 1858 pattern set together in the mean time!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8117 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I remember in 1989, there was a coin shop in the lower level of the Carson Pirie Scott department store and Marshall Field's also had a coin and stamp department inside the department store. Both stores were on State Street in Chicago. These coin shops were fading out though, garnering little interest. I think they both folded not too long after. The Carson dept. store shop had a 1856 FEC for sale for $3,000. $3k wasn't a ton of money back then, but it was more than I had. I had about $2.5K from working over the summer and decided to spend it having fun with my GF. I don't regret not buying the coin because when you are young, you should have fun. Those youthful days pass you by and never return. But I still remember wanting to own that coin, now over 3 decades ago.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2158 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to find much that detracts from this beautiful coin. Congratulations!

A few tiny, isolated spots of verdigris: in the N of UNITED, on the E in ONE, and a faint one centered below the ribbon on the wreath.

Quote:
small but obvious ding between the 'T' and 'E'

Looks like it may be a small planchet defect or lamination rather than a hit.

I agree with PF63 crowd.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4182 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. I'll go with PF-63+ As I recall, these were previously considered MS and I suspect there are still some in older TPG holders with MS grades.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2396 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My friend, this one is way over my head. What an incredible coin. I truly have no worthy words here.

Congratulations. Thank you for sharing this moment with us. Absolutely phenomenal collecting achievement!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PF64
Pillar of the Community
United States
4965 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What happened...? Did you recently get hit on the head...

Wowzaaaaaaaa Now that's a nice coin and great pixs...
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
8429 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm all in at PR62 a real beauty of a rare pattern coin that was released into circulation. Very nice.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
8117 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone for all of your kind words.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10704 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PF64. I cant see the few minor marks knocking this coin down anymore than that. the scratch between T and E is well positioned and not in a key area to detract that much from the coin. worthy of any collection
Pillar of the Community
United States
8117 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin is an odd duck. I grade this coin a strong PF64. Under a 10x loupe, I see none of the ticks in the huge blown up pictures of the coin pictured at the top of in this thread, except for what also seems to me, to be a small planchet defect between the T and E in UNITED in the obverse. There is strong luster evident in the coin.

This coin is, in my opinion, slightly overgraded at PF65, but this coin has many times traded at auction at around the PF63-64 price. It seems the market grades this coin with its wallet.

In general, most try to find undergraded coins in slabs and try to pay the price of the grade in the holder. This is a case where I picked up a slightly overgraded coin at a significant discount to the holdered grade.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61757 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough coin, but I'm not a fan of the curb appeal, grade aside.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3377 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That "6" at the end of the date really enhances the curb appeal for me!
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19151 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  12:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why didn't the TPGrader mention the planchet flaw?
Most intending buyers would certainly like to know at least that it was acknowledged.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,111Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05