Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1877 1c Indian Head Cent

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 695Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
8075 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  5:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
One more item scratched in my wish list. Thoughts? Thanks!

Edited by numismatic student
09/24/2021 5:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
606 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thoughts? Expensive lol! Really nice coin!
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
ANA # 3204217
CONECA # Y-6505
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15958 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If your not pulling our legs ,then for you .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS64+
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2391 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolute knockout! PR-64 RB, and not far from 65.
Pillar of the Community
United States
582 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RedRaider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice one! Ms65rb. Circulation strike as the reverse has the shallow N.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2391 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
on circulation strike.

I was still dazzled by the 1856 FE when I typed this!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61514 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You seem to have jumped from AA ball to the majors - what gives?
Edited by Coinfrog
09/24/2021 8:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3081 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
congrats on checking this one off! Great looking example! I'm also at MS65 RB.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another beautiful key date cent! I'm thinking MS64RB. This one is still on my want list, but not in a grade that high. Congrats!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8075 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*** SPOILER ALERT *** Do not read if you still want to guess the grade.

The top of the 1877 Indian cent census looks like this:

MS66+RD - None finer.
PCGS: 1
NGC: 0

MS66RD
PCGS: 8
NGC: 0

MS66RB - None finer in RB.
PCGS: 3

NGC: 7

MS66BN - None finer in BN.
PCGS: 8
NGC: 1

I didn't know any of this, I just liked the coin and I purchased it. I liked the creamy, even luster, the surfaces and the pleasing color.

After I bought it, I strolled over to PCGS Coinfacts and NGC Explorer to learn more about this coin and found that my coin is one of the three highest graded 1877 cents with the Red-Brown color designation. As bolded above, it is one of the three coins graded MS66RB - none higher in RB. There is however one coin graded MS66+RD by PCGS and eight coins graded MS66RD by PCGS. Those nine coins are finer than this coin. This information can be found in the links below.

https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...7-1c-rb/2128
https://www.NGCcoin.com/coin-explor...ms-ucid-2284

The most surprising thing was that when I went to the PCGS page for the 1877 Indian cent in Red-Brown they had pictures of the three coins graded MS66RB at the top of the population. If the population census figures are correct, then it has to include my coin, right? But often, census figures are wrong and not everything is counted, stuff falls through the cracks, so no way that this coin is pictured in PCGS Coinfacts right? I start examining the pictures carefully, and I am shocked that the second picture in the coinfacts page for this coin, is actually this coin. See that coin on the PCGS/Coinfacts page below and compare with this coin. Although, they look completely different at first glance, they are actually the same coin if you examine the pictures carefully. Especially in the reverse in the area between the N in ONE and the N in CENT. The picture below can be found on this page:
https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...7-1c-rb/2128

What do you think?

So now I know where it stands in the condition census for this coin. I would also add, having looked at the 3 coins graded MS66RB by PCGS, that this coin is the finest one of the 3 by a wide margin.

Edited by numismatic student
09/24/2021 11:59 pm
Learn More...
United States
20869 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done with this addition to your collection @numi! That is a beaut.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, you've really been stepping up your game. That's an absolute beauty of a coin! Congrats!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Varieties and Colonial Coinage
Pillar of the Community
United States
5639 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful, spectacular coin, which presumably would have cost around $30,000. Congratulations on the acquisition of this beauty!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8075 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone for all of your kind words.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61514 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stunner for sure!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 695Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05