Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Someone Please Help Me Identify This Variety Lincoln Cent?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 383Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  8:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So, I was just going through a roll of UNC 1966-P LMC and I came across 6 of these. Can someone please tell me what it is? filled die maybe? I'm looking at columns #3, #7, and #8. Thank you for your help!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Overpolished?
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
welp, that was not as exciting as I was hoping... haha thanks, I did consider that. I'm going to look up some examples of overpolished die stuck coins so I can learn to identify them better. I appreciate It!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41190 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may be part of a die clash.Not sure what is going on at the 9k obverse position.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
09/25/2021 04:50 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53876 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note a variety coin. Just as mentioned an over polishing issue on the reverse. A very spendable coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much sir! That bring a question to mind though. When a coin has been Struck Through Grease is it grease thats used to lubricate the machinery? Where does the grease come from, and what makes a Struck Through Grease coin worth something but an overpolished die stuck coin worth face value? In my mind they both produce similar looking coins, and is kind of the same concept, right?... or am I totally wrong? haha Thank you for your help!
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@John when you say 9k you mean the 9 oclock, right? I did find several die clashes in this roll. Nothing too impressive but noticeable. The back of Lincolns neck between column 3&4, and his beard after columns 8&9 I believe.. But those were all on the rev.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41190 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes,9k=9o'clock. The reverse is where I see a die clash.
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1161 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the coin press is lubricated with grease, and is the most likely source of grease in a struck thrugh grease coin. Interest level in these types of errors is all about how much the coin differs from its normal appearance, regardless of whether the cause is polishing, struck thru, or something else.
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok I see. That makes more sense. I was thinking whats the difference.. So basically an overpolished die just creates a specific type of strike through, correct?
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And john you got some good eyes man, also mine just arent as experienced as yours haha. Can you tell me exactly what youre seeing because I dont see it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41190 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  04:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obverse 9k,looks like a "dip?" by and behind the L.
John1
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add element47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys for answering my questions! I have one more question. Coop said that its not a variety. But the coin differs from the average coin. And I have 6 that all have the same anomaly.
The way I understood the difference between errors and varieties is that varieties are repeated and errors are a one off. So wouldnt this technically be a variety, even if its not considered valuable?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53876 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  01:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die varieties are Doubled dies and RPMs on the 20 & 21st. Century coins.
Die events are what happens to dies during their lives.
Striking issues are issues spotted on coins that can/can't affect their values. Struck Through Grease most of the time doesn't have a premium unless most of the devices are missing. Die polishing is a die event that can happen on normal/proof/doubled dies. Doesn't increase the value. (Most collectors prefer not to buy problem coins, new collectors don't care yet. But seasoned collectors are selective buyers. They usually don't grab the first example seen. Wait for the right one to buy. They also prefer earlier die state coins. And don't like Machine Doubling as it distracts from the varieties they seek.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 383Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05