Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1989 D, DDD? Possible Grease Slimming On Second 9?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 165Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1642 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  8:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So there is definitely no slimming on the first 9 which rules out MD but the doubling looks like DDD. The second 9 looks slimmer then the first 9 even before the doubling on the first 9. I don't think this is a doubles die note MD so is the second 9 I'm the date reduced by grease and the first 9 DDD?

I don't see any doubling other then the first 9 in the date(light is not the cause) so my only conclusion is that the second 9 was slimmed by grease filling in the second 9!from polishing and DDD and normal width on the first 9?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is normal but the other is enlarged due to the MD.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1642 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Oldfordman, the first 9 is noticably larger then the second 9 even without any doubling, also as far as I know MD goes in one direction, DDD make a bit more sense because the loop of the first 9 has doubling at the outside bottom of the loop. take a closer look and the first 9 is larger then the second 9 even if you were to take away any doubling MD or DDD they are different sizes.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1642 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can anyone post a close up if the same spot of the date on a 1989 D cent? It does not have to be exactly the same zoom. I just want a photo to compare the date size with. If it turn out to be what I posted it is just a face value penny, if it turn out I am wrong it is most likely still just a penny. I'm just getting a better idea of how coins look in hand, I can definitely see the first 9 is larger then the second without the doubling so that rules out MD (unless the second 9 has been reduced from polishing or grease filling the edge of the device) DDD in the first 9 and reduction on the second 9 is the only thing that makes sense to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4917 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a spender...9 closest to the rim is IMO slimmer due to more aggressive die polishing.
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1642 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2021  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Greasy Fingers, no one in Canada spends pennies if you even can :p but that was what ny original assumption was. Die polished second 9 DDD first 9. This post is not about weather or not the coin is a keeper or not this post is about me improving on being to ween out the coins that can be a little confusing. I have not been great with identifying some of these things so some times I look at a coin longer then necessary. I'm happy to see I'm improving with the smaller detail's.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53910 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die polishing and DDD issue with your coin. The die was aging and showing die events that altered the die. Not a doubled die. But DDD as you asked.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 165Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05