Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1988 Dime Error Coin Confused How To Label It Need Help?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 282Next Topic  

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  04:40 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gsv88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This dime I have a feeling its rare in its own way so to speak, but check out the pics!

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsv88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are few more pics :

Bedrock of the Community
United States
41304 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  05:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. What makes you think it is rare?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  05:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsv88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are last 2 pics but in low light :

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  05:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsv88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the date at the 1 and 9 ? cant figure out what that is?
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  05:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsv88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
finally last pic of this 1988 dime, I will try to get better pictures soon!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6574 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  06:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My eyes see a simple die chip error. (i.e., a coin struck by a die that has had a piece of it break off). Some collectors will pay a premium, but I don't think the coin would be considered a great rarity.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsv88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone from another forum was saying it look like emblem similar to the Kennedy half dollar? under the neck of Kennedy!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41304 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a minor die chip and not worth much if anything above face value.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
5617 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a carry-over from the Kennedy half. Looks like a die chip to me--given the photos posted. Drop it into a 2x2 and keep it as an interesting example.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsv88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your input ! (what a buzz kill) but much appreciated :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2391 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a question for consideration. Are we sure this isn't a retained struck-through error?

What makes me pause on it being a die chip is that the "9" is complete, though weak, and there is separation between the inner upper curve of the loop of the "9" and the material that is inside the "9." If there was a die chip affecting the area both inside and above the "9," wouldn't the break be continuous?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3386 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a very nice die chip.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 282Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05