Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2007 S Silver Roosevelt W/ Extra Thickness?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 496Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
177 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  12:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is another of the dimes from the 90% tray from LCS. It looks cameo. I do not look at dimes much but I could not help but to give some of these a look.
There are no listing for this year that I was able to locate. It appears to me to have extra thickness one the obverse devices. Especially IGWT, designers initials, the 2 zeros in the date, and the mint mark. Not to sure about LIBERTY. As I do not look at dimes much and have nothing to compare to as an example, perhaps one of you dime affecianatos might weigh in.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53901 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They pretty much all of them cameos. Some slabbed at PCGS in Dcam:
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/81384569
Even in the highest grades they are not worth the fees to have them graded. PR-70 Dcam $15. To spend $50 for that service doesn't make sense to me?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jeez Coop, I was not even considering that route. I was only wondering if the devices showed any extra thickness. You would be the go to guy on the question.
Premium is not much of a concern to me as it is merely an addition to my stack as far as I am concerned. I just thought it might be interesting if it had a bit more going for it. It will still go in the dime tube.
I cannot recall ever asking for a value in any of my posts. Questions submitted are for educational purposes.
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only comparisons I could make was from Heritage Auctions images and these devices appeared to be thicker than the ones I compared. I am already aware of the sold values as listed on their site.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53901 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well open the link above and click on the coin images on the right and see if they your coin looks like that that one. Keep in mint that the Obverse doubled dies are pretty nil on these coins. A few DDR's, so you might check the sites to see what is listed. Best to see what it here before you look. Then you will know what areas the doubled dies are listed. An some sides are a waste of time even checking on the dime obverses.
http://www.varietyvista.com/07%20Ro...Listings.htm
Note the listing on the doubled die obverse will have the date color different and underlined. Always nice to know what you looking for ahead of time. Study the listed examples and see what to look for. Best ways to train the eyes.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input Coop, but, as I stated in my original post, I found no listing for 2007S on Wexler nor VV. So it that to say none exist? I was hoping for some trained eyes in these matters as no known examples are out there. I looked before I posited this inquiry. I was under the assumption that most of the known and listed varieties where recognized by individuals noticing anomalies and then submitting them for attribution.
I was merely applying the things to look for that indicates certain characteristics of a variety and asking those more informed than I for an opinion.
Your advice suggests that I should just stick to those already attributed and not waste my time being inquisitive.
Sorry if I have taken your replies out of context. If so, please explain. Thanks
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53901 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well new examples are found everyday, but in certain locations. Because of the how the dies are created now, looking in the old areas, are a waste of time. Knowing where to look will save a lot more time and eyestrain.
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I gotcha Coop. I understand that single squeeze confines the hub doubling from the center outward. Yet if one confined themselves to this strick pattern thinking, then Whalen Curtiss might not have submitted this example of an exception to the rule. Unless you and others dispute the attribution. Reference Wexler. 2012P WDDO-1.
I was just hoping for a little bit of closer scrutiny from others, as I was able to get nice images from Heritage Auction's to compare. The example I have is fatter. So what, big deal. I am not interested in profit or recognition in my endeavors here. If I observe something that appears different, I enjoy sharing it and asking for input from others only to sharpen my skills of observation.
Give me enough time and I could more than likely find more exceptions to the rule throughout the scores of years.
Just forget I asked.
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I must interject again, for the last time on this topic.
My best comparison is this 2006 S picked up the same day as the coin in question. I get if the were changes to the dies between those yes. They appear much different. No big deal. It is not a slick in the stack, for sure.
Out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see the doubling.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3531 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  01:55 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't believe anyone else has confirmed this but I think there was a new obverse design variety introduced in 2009. The lettering of IGWT before this date seem to be slightly thicker than that on 2009-present. I have not recognized any difference between 2006 and 2007 though.

The thickness looks normal on your coin, I'm not sure what you're seeing. Maybe it would help if you took photos of the 2006 dime you have and put them side by side for us.
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2006S Pr

2007S Pr

2006S Pr

2007S Pr

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53901 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well different things can affect devices, even on proof coins. If the one die is a fresher die state and the other one is a polished die, then the devices can appear to be different sizes. But they are just normal dies with different die events.

My first question was why was one year/compared with another year having different device sizes. Well my first assumption was that they may have changed die the design from one year to another. Looking them up, they appeared to have different sizes on the same year dies. So to solution #2. Die polished and fresh die. That is what I determined as being different on these years. (even proof dies get polished because of the strike are stronger and alter the dies more)
Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
United States
3531 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The differences you see are likely die state or die polishing issues.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53901 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last DDO for Dimes what 1972-S
http://www.varietyvista.com/07%20Ro...201972-S.htm
No DDO's on V.V since then.
Wexler's last one was 2012:
http://doubleddie.com/2257221.html

Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See how easy that was. A logical explanation to my question but only if one knows that proof dies undergo the same methods as business strike coins. Which I was not aware of. I was under the assumption that proof dies were retired before reaching that stage. Now I know differently.
In light of this new information, am I the only one that observed extra thickness as my OP inquired? That appears not to be the case as original question was re-addressed and eplained in an understandable manner. Hence, I have learned something else I did not know before and I thank you.
The question of value is something I believe, I have never asked. Nor have I ever asserted that "this is the one". At least, not to my knowledge. Inquiring minds just want to know. And now I know.
Further more, thanks to the advice and information obtained thru this forum, I am completely aware of fact that no listing exist on the search sites as mentioned by you Coop. It was you and many others here that put me in that direction some time ago.
I do my best to ingest and research as much as I can before I put forward something to this community for an opinion.
So, in conclusion, as to my initial observation of extra thickness, the answer is yes? I am not just seeing things? Or maybe I am noticing more things. Not sure.
On to the next one. I still think it is pretty nice junk silver.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 496Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05