Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1814 Large Cent With Envelope (Ex. C. B. Wolfe)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 391Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
411 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  8:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this large cent in early 2017 at auction, and received with it the envelope the coin was stored in by the previous owner, C.B. Wolfe. I did a brief Google search, and while I couldn't find much I did find that he was a member of Early American Coppers, and thus the notation "EAC 2587" on the envelope.

Mr. Wolfe died at age 93 in January of 2011, and this coin was part of his collection sold in 2017. I did find an old topic in this forum from another member who had a coin with a similar envelope from the same gentleman. I keep the envelope in a flip with the coin, and will pass them on together if and when I ever sell it.

I thought it was a bit of an interesting piece of history; I have many coins with attribution on the TPG holders, but this is the only one where I have an old coin envelope like this.

By the way, while Mr. Wolfe had given it a grade of F, PCGS deemed it VF25.

Edited by hokiefan_82
09/25/2021 8:35 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61646 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at F-15 on this. Cannot see VF in any respect.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bust10cent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find. You have to wonder what collections that coin was a part of prior to Mr Wolfe acquiring it. It so cool seeing the envelope from the old school collecting method. Nice collector grade with a nice planchet. F12 is extremely conservative.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2554 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F15 nice eye appeal
Pillar of the Community
United States
8426 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always nice to be able to place your coin with a provenance to another collection in the past. This example is a superb coin for the era. No problems and great surfaces.

The Early American Coppers (EAC) group prides itself on the depth of research that its members do learning about coinage.

Ralph Rucker took that research to a new level in his book on the 22 envelopes that contained these coins.

He shares why his believes his research is important and what inspired him to begin this literary quest.

s40JXBT0MsM

I got my copy of Ralph's book for free when I joined the EAC in my welcome packet.

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
411 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the comments. I've always been fascinated imagining the paths the U.S. coins I own have taken to finally reach my hands (especially the 18th and 19th century ones), and it's nice to have a little something from the person who owned this one before me!

I agree that PCGS was generous with assigning a VF25 grade to this coin and took that into consideration on my bidding at the time, but I remember being attracted to it by the fairly decent strike and nice overall appearance. And I still am .

@westcoin, I'm somewhat familiar with EAC, but hadn't heard of that publication. Interesting!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8426 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  01:18 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@westcoin, I'm somewhat familiar with EAC, but hadn't heard of that publication. Interesting
!

I don't know if they still give them out with membership, I would bet they are out of them by now. They do pop up on eBay from time to time. Usually in a lot of other EAC literature bundled or so I've noticed.

EAC is a great organization https://www.eacs.org
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Edited by westcoin
09/26/2021 02:03 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
411 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  01:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I'll check that out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3197 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am fine with the coin at VF25. Maybe a little over graded, but a really nice example with original skin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5356 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just on a guess, Wolfe's grade of "F" could be a grade based on EAC standards.
As I understand it EAC grading starts with a technical grade, then adjusts that for specific irregularities.
So the PCGS grade of VF-25 was probably the starting point (the technical grade).

Anyway, I like it and would gladly include it in my collection.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Edited by kanga
09/26/2021 09:22 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2248 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also have a coin with a Wolfe pedigree bought at a Heritage Auction. In this case his grade was higher than PCGS.

Member ANA and EAC

"You got to lose to know how to win".
Dream On by Aerosmith
Edited by cipster
09/26/2021 11:08 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
8426 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My friend Mark Borckardt, Senior Cataloger and numismatist with Heritage, is also the EAC historian and is probably a big part of why Heritage keeps the envelopes and passes them on to the buyers of EAC coins.

I'm glad others also see value in them as well, as it is a good way to help preserve the provenance of a certain coin, which allows us to track it over time as it moves through various collectors hands. Some known others not so much, but no matter the legacy will live on, and it's easier to keep if we know the caretakers of the coins through time and history.

Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
652 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
ANA # 3204217
CONECA # Y-6505
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
411 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just on a guess, Wolfe's grade of "F" could be a grade based on EAC standards.

@kanga, that's what I was assuming. I've noticed over the years that Heritage Auctions often lists the EAC grade for early coppers, and it's almost always lower than the grade on the slabs.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 391Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05