Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Are 1985 Rabbit Ears Impossible To Find?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 407Next Topic  
Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  07:37 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add OzLeigh to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

For a while now I have been getting $1 coins from banks and looking through them for errors and such and am wondering why 1985 rabbit ears are impossible to find while all other years relatively easy?

Maybe someone here has actually found one or are they a myth.

Thank you
Pillar of the Community
Australia
679 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Someone on here may have an answer,Decimal errors/varieties are not my thing..
Edited by Basil
09/27/2021 08:08 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
910 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi OzLeigh to the forum

Quote:
For a while now I have been getting $1 coins from banks and looking through them for errors and such and am wondering why 1985 rabbit ears are impossible to find while all other years relatively easy?

I also have yet to come across one in the wild!

Quote:
Maybe someone here has actually found one or are they a myth

Apparently they do exist http://wiki.australian-coins.net/wi...-rabbit-ear/ ... there's also one on eBay atm that they're asking $99.95 or Best Offer for!
Learn More...
United States
104754 Posts
Valued Member
Australia
400 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add karloning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just checked. No 1985 out of 40 or so
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5284 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1985 Rabbits are extremely hard to find. I've only seen images of about 3-4, so scarce as hens' teeth.

I have this one, but I bought it.
life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Valued Member
Australia
400 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add karloning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HI Nevol

If you want a couple more, let me know. You very kindly sent me my only 2010 Bubble a few years ago. Happy to help.
Australia
17 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jens coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
husband noodled one a couple of years ago.
Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  02:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OzLeigh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your replies.

Quote:
scarce as hens' teeth

Any idea why? Surely the die was used for an extended run like all other rabbit ears years.
Australia
8 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add unknow_n to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All,
Im new to collecting and am located in SYD.
Is this really a thing to collect the different years of rabbit ear error $1 coins?
If so, are they worth much as I have a 2015/16/2*19.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5284 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2021  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you want a couple more, let me know.

Email sent
life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Australia
6 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2021  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OzLeigh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a 2015/16/2*19

2015 and 2016 quite common. Never seen or heard about 2019 rabbit ears though.
Australia
33 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2021  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crab eater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks coaster for letting me know about the 1985 $1 rabbit ear on eBay, put in an offer of $25 and was hastily declined.
Rough looking coin for $100. Think I will keep noodling trying to snare one that way.
Edited by crab eater
10/02/2021 12:54 am
Australia
33 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  04:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add crab eater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crossed my mind that a few rabbit ears might be still hidden in their burrows (Mint rolls).
Bought a 1985 $1 H/T roll a month or so ago, yet too poor to crack it open and have a look for one.
How much would an uncirculated one fetch?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1851 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  03:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure - it's the same design and is reasonably obtainable in most other years. A mystery.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 407Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05