Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1988 Possibly Fake Loonie?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 547Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  11:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't know much about fakes and have not heard anything about fake loonies. I question the one because all of the letters on the coin seem to look horribly struck, every letter almost looks ripple around the letters and numbers. I can post some close ups of all the devices if requested it does not look quite right to me either all in all the letters do look kind of warn but not all of them, even the L has random metal at the bottom with no hits to show that it was pushed out, this goes the same for most of the devices.

It's magnetic and weight is around 7g so it all seems normal.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wanted to avoid posting a bunch of scope shots but here are some of the devices close up. The reverse is worse then the obverse but the same effect can be seen, even the MD took jagged

It kind of looks like it was mayb cleaned with acid but the weight would be lower if that was the case. Not sure what causes this but it does not look like all the devices took multiple hits (there is no hit markers around the metal around all the devices) hopefully this helps.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Am I just coming off as dumb here? If so based on the close ups and full coin images make what I'm seeing obvious. This is not something I have ever seen on a Canadian coin myself. Many of the devices not posted all have some sort of jagged extra metal on them indeed not see contact marks that could have caused this. If it's a dumb obvious question explain please. If something does not make sense to me I question it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
885 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love my Loons, but can't comment. I await an answer with you.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know much about loonies but in general where I see displaced metal or extra metal I see contact marks, so I'm just confused on this. The other devices are just as bad, some worse some better but all just seem sloppy to me and then the shape the loonie is in does not look bad compared to others I have seen. Mayb I should post closer clearer shot of the individual devices. But I guess I'll wait and hope someone can fill me in a bit more.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a little surprised no one has confirmed or denied this, if it is real I still don't understand what's going on with the coin. If it seems like it's obvious please let me know you opinion and why.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
935 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a thread from a few years back, this is on a 1867-1992 commemorative loonie, there was little response other then die wear.

Cheers, Bill

http://goccf.com/t/257376
Pillar of the Community
Canada
613 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You said the weight checks out. I think it's a legit loonie, it has just been well used over the past 33 years that it has been in circulation.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely not all circulation wear. Many devices like the second L in dollar have pieces of extra metal yet the device has no hits that would have pushed metal.die wear is probably the culprit mixed with regular circulation wear, I just have yet to see a Canadian coin with major die wear. Like the loonie in the other post from Houndddog Bill with the link, the devices do have a similar issue, thanks for the link:)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
885 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That flaming A is very cool, Bill.
"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
In memory of crazyb0 July 27 2020. RIP.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, I wish I could take some nice photos without the scope. I don't think any of mine look as cool as the flamang A from that post. But many of them you look at and your just like huh, why is that there.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
935 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've replaced my camera since I took the pictures in the 2016 thread I referred you to.
This is a much better photo of what your legend may have looked like before the wear.

Cheers, Bill
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the photo,that really cool looking. That's definitely the smart thing happening on my coin. The R at the end of dollar is probably the most effected, looks like it is going to rocket off the coin, but also the most worn looking. But ya definitely the same issue in my coin.
Learn More...
Canada
9904 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As always, great photo Bill. That 'A' looks like it is on fire!!
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the devices look like they are burning lol, but the A does look the most "flaming" this I why I have brought up Die Deterioration American vs Canadian in the past,seems very different. But I have not looked at many denominations for USA coinage. I wonder if this is a loonie specific thing. And are they considered die chips? Or what would be the start of DDD? I'm still not sure what kind of Die Deterioration to call this.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1702 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was browsing some other threads and saw some coins very similar, so I guess this is what coin and Canada refers to as a "mortar set" which is just a fancy name for the kind of Die Deterioration it is. I'm curious does this happen with American coins as well? I have seen Die Deterioration in many ways but have never seen this kind on USA coinage, though I hear it's fairly common on Canadian coins especially older cents. I brought this with me today for bus fair lol, don't think I'll save it for an example(I have more then enough Die Deterioration examples)

I'm mainly posting because it's been bothering me every time I see some of the names on coins and Canadas error. Another one in not sure about but I assume is a die chip, is the king George hearing aid, or earing aid or w.e lol.is this correct?
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 547Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05