Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1968-D Penny - The 8 Looks Like The B

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 178Next Topic  

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  10:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add K3V to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have this penny with the 8 that looks like the letter B
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add K3V to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do I add a picture of this penny? This is my first post, I'm new.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3385 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3385 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
However, if you wish to add new pictures of this coin, Just below where you can type replies is a link labeled as "switch to full reply"
click that and you will see options to add images.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add K3V to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the same coin image. It looks like the same letter B to me.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2021  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add K3V to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the weird almost egg shape in the top circle of the 8. They both have that little tip on the right of the circle.
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  01:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add K3V to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The B looks blocky like the ne above and the letters along the top are up into the edge. THe I is long too.

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2021  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add K3V to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After further research this coin is definitely an error coin. There are a lot of them out there with varying degrees of errors. The one I have has an extra long I in liberty. I'm taking it to a coin dealer in Frederick MD next week. I need to get a USB magnification device.
Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your replies were split into their own topic for the proper attention.

Reference topic: http://goccf.com/t/397191
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12030 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an error, just damage. The I and B have both taken hits distorting them.
There is no way that could happen during the striking of the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1912 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dbrablec to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice enough pictures - though....
Pillar of the Community
United States
7144 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with JimmyD. Post mint damage, no premium I'm afraid. If your local coin shop tells you differently, ask them if they want to buy it, and if they do, take whatever you can get, as it's value is 1 cent.

to the CCF! (Glad you were able to upload your photos, good job!)
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54035 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  05:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the motto with the devices on the rim: they all looked that way, even the proof cents. The following year they had to, re-create a new, new master hub. The older master hub was swelling outwards. When you compare the designs for those two years, then you see what was going on those years.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
09/28/2021 05:17 am
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add K3V to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
THank you for your responses! I am learning more every day!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54035 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2021  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great to hear. It takes time to understand how the process of the die creation. A simple way to understand the positive hubs and the negative dies, that create positive coins.
1. Take a small piece of aluminum foil.
2. Note that one side is shiny and the other side is dull?
3. Place the shiny side on the top of the coin.
4. With your fingers press the shiny side of the foil onto the coin. The more the devices show on the shiny side, then you have captured that side of the coin.
5. Pull the foil off the coin. Note the shiny side is the positive side, All coins/working hub and master hubs look like that.
6. Then turn over the see the dull size. This is what all working dies and master dies look like, they are negatives.
7. But on the dies and hubs, there are a difference. Note the rim on the foil? Raised on the positive side and incuse on the dull side. Dies and hubs don't have that as part of the dies design. It is a different feature that creates this:

Note the #2 on the die. That gutter and the collar work to create the rim on the coins. If the coin has reeds, then the planchet presses the reeds into the edge of the coin.

This is not what the collar looks like, but to show how it would sit into the machine. This type of collar is used on the dollar edges that imprint the date and motto on the edges. Thus the business strikes have the edge lettering in a separate step (Thus why some of the have the letters in different directions), but on the proof dies, the edge and the other two sides of the coin are all added at once to the coin. (Thus the letters on the edge, will all be in the same direction)
Check out your foil die on your scope and see the differences a lot clearer. The best was to see what a die would look like. (the dull side)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 178Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05