Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Spots, Or Drops (?) On New Lincoln Shield Pennies?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 291Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  5:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NancysPennies to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi! I'm hoping someone could tell me what these spots are on some of these newer shield pennies? On this particular coin (a 2021 D Lincoln) that I am uploading pictures of, one of the stranger ones is at the lower right hand of the D in the word God, in the motto. It almost looks like it goes up under the right side of the D!
Those, and smaller darker looking spots are scattered all over the face of this coin.
I took pictures of the areas in question, but I'm having a time trying to get good clear pictures of the whole coin. Can anyone possibly tell me what those are? Thanks!

Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zincolns, as some people call them, are prone to spotting on the copper shell. It's one of the many problems with these troubled coins, which the U.S. Mint has been churning out by the billions for almost 40 years.
Edited by halfamind
09/27/2021 6:13 pm
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, the zinc core is very reactive and prone to decay when there is any breach in the copper plating.

Imagine the state of Zincolns 200 years from now. It will be tough to find any coins in Mint State or better, except for a few specimens kept in climate-controlled environments.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61759 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These might be plating bubbles. Are they raised above the surface?

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
41337 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. We will need full coin photos front and back to really help you.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NancysPennies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the quick responses!
They don't seem to be raised on the surface. I'm trying to work on getting full coin pictures, I will add some if I can get clear ones. But I thank you all for your input already. The one that really grabbed my attention was the one up by the word God, and how it appears to be up under the D. I'll work on getting better/more pictures. I wondered about plating issues, if that could possibly be what these are.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NancysPennies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And thank you for !the welcomes
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spotting, separate from raised plating bubbles, is quite common on copper-plated zinc cents. Can't recall the exact chemical reason, but seems like it has to do with planchet washing/treatment before leaving the U.S. Mint. Someone on here might have more precise details.
Edited by halfamind
09/27/2021 6:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7187 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know exactly what you are describing. The mint uses a final rinse that dries and leaves these terrible "water spots" (although its not water) that are permanent spots on the coin's surface and cannot be removed (at least without damaging the coin). I have personally opened boxes of 2019 and 2020 cents, thrilled at all the ultra shiny coins, only to be disappointed at these dreadful spots. After inspecting roll after roll and seeing only more spots everywhere I looked, I gave up and returned them to the bank. Again, there is nothing you can do about these gruesome spots!

to the CCF, Nancy!
ša va bien aller

Edited by merclover
09/27/2021 7:00 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54082 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a plus for the coin. Water spots and incuse damage marks. Just a spender. Even if it were a variety. Move on to the next coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NancysPennies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! I will toss it aside with the others very much like it I have already found I figured it was something to do with the plating process, so now I know to just keep looking! Thank you all!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61759 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, spend it.
Learn More...
United States
105091 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 291Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05