Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

October 2021 - RCM Release

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,737Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
526 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  12:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Last week of September, Autumn is in full swing (at least in this part of the country) so the October release is due:

<Updated Sep 29 Noon with Sales Status>

Pure Silver - 1oz (Colourized) - Wreath of Remembrance 100th year of poppy - FV $20 - Mintage: 7,500 - Diameter 38mm - $109.95
Pure Gold - 1oz (Piedfort) - Maple Leaf Celebration 25th Anniversary of Arboreal Emblem Privy - FV $200 - Mintage: 500 - Diameter 25mm (double thickness) - $4,199.95
Pure Silver - 1kg - Incuse Maple Leaf Maple Leaf Celebration 25th Anniversary of Arboreal Emblem Privy - FV $250 - Mintage: 450 - Diameter 102mm - $2,699.95 <Sold Out>
Pure Silver - 1oz (GITD) - Montreal UFO Incident (Bar shape) - FV $20 - Mintage: 5,000 - 49.8mmx28.6mm - $129.95
Pure Silver - 1oz (Colourized) - Colourful Birds Blue Jay - FV $20 - Mintage: 7,500 - Diameter 38mm - $109.95
Pure Silver - 5kg - Bluenose - FV $500 - Mintage: 125 - Diameter 180mm - $10,999.95 <Sold Out>
Pure Gold - 1kg - Voyageur (KGV Obverse) - FV $1 - Mintage: 45 - Diameter 101.6mm - $105,000 <Sold Out>
Base Metal - CP Holiday Train (Lenticular) - FV $0.50 - Mintage: 100,000 - Diameter 35mm - $29.95

------------
Thoughts:
- The Voyageur is stunning but over $100K it is too rich for me
- The Bluenose is a very good looking coin and again if it weren't for the price tag, I would be a buyer... even if it were the 5oz $500-$600... but over $10K... Nope. Then again it is already sold out.

Contrary to my position all year, I think I will be buying a silver coin not part of a series... the Remembrance day coin is very good looking (IMHO).

Also no info yet on the base metal 10cent Bluenose celebration packs/Rolls
Edited by vonigohcr
09/29/2021 11:56 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
547 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @vonigohcr for the list of new October coins.

I'll probably buy the Wreath of Remembrance and Montreal UFO Incident coins only. the others are to rich for my blood or not interested in.

"If you lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6736 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@vonigohcr: thanks much for the post!

A 2021 colorized proof set with 36 mm silver medal is looking less and less likely!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Canada
253 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add YesOrNo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the October list. As a Montrealer, I ordered the Montreal UFO coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
681 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panda to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @vonigohcr for the list!
Valued Member
Canada
135 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tender4848 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was hoping for a 2 or 3oz Silver Super Incuse Coin, down to the November and December releases....

And no colored Silver proof set yet, possibly another cool series going on the shelf.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
547 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like the 5-kilo Bluenose coin, but for 11k it's just not in my budget. I wish the RCM would of came out with a 3 or 5 oz coin with the same design. I then would hit the buy button.
"If you lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2850 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  12:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Was hoping for a 2 or 3oz Silver Super Incuse Coin, down to the November and December releases....

Given that we already had this year's silver 1 oz silver incuse and 2 oz gold incuse, it is very unlikely we will have a 2 or 3 oz incuse coin.

Past incuse releases usuallly includes different sizes like the Rhodium incuses of last year.

November releaaes will largely focus on holiday issues amd December releases are pretty limited.
Edited by MoneyPenney
09/30/2021 12:56 am
Valued Member
Canada
95 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jazzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A 2021 colorized proof set with 36 mm silver medal is looking less and less likely!

Yes, I have been waiting for this all year--as much as I don't really mind if it does not get continued this year, I wish I could just know if it will be released or not. At least with the US Mint I can see in advance all the products they will release all year. With the RCM I'm just left wondering whether something will be released or not.

Edit:

To add, I subscribed earlier this year to the circulation "keepsake" fold out cards as well as the "Moments to Hold" 1/4 oz silver series. But I don't see the final releases on the horizon quite yet. I'm waiting to finish these series.
Edited by jazzy
09/30/2021 9:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6736 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2021  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wish I could just know if it will be released or not. At least with the US Mint I can see in advance all the products they will release all year. With the RCM I'm just left wondering whether something will be released or not.

Yes, this has been a complaint about the Royal Canadian Mint for years. I've, personally, never seen an official reason for why the Mint doesn't provide more advanced notice for its releases but would be happy if someone else could point to any such statement. I've wondered for years!

I've worked under the assumption that the Mint believes that providing advanced notice will negatively impact their overall sales - maybe folks wouldn't buy Product A now if they know that Product B will be released a month or two later? Of course, if the Mint produced coins that were eagerly anticipated by collectors, this wouldn't be a problem. Issuing coins with the same theme over and over, however, does encourage collectors to be more selective.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Canada
27 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2021  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zhuyuecai to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jimper, same here, hopefully there would be a 5 or 2 oz silver coming with a similar design. MC exclusive even better.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6736 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2021  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Pure Silver - 5kg - Bluenose - FV $500 - Mintage: 125 - Diameter 180mm - $10,999.95 <Sold Out>

Definitely a dramatic view of the Bluenose under full sail in strong wind - a very attractive piece of art IMO! But like vonigohcr said up top, at $11K it's a non-starter (for me)!

Edited by commems
10/02/2021 5:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6736 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Contrary to my position all year, I think I will be buying a silver coin not part of a series... the Remembrance day coin is very good looking (IMHO).

@vonigohcr: It is an attractive piece. Did you pull the trigger?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
526 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems

Yes. No other silver or gold coins this month.

I also noted the lack of a coloured proof/Medal set but not sure if I am disappointed in the lack of an item or just in the lack of communication around the plans present and future. I find myself continually frustrated with the Mint and their haphazard approach to NCLT.

My frustration points over the past few years:
1) Most recent... unannounced end of the annual $100 Gold in the 27mm form factor. The new one just isn't the same.
2) The addition of a colourized proof medal set then apparent removal ... all previously unannounced.
3) The short run of Specimen $2 featuring "Baby wildlife". It ran 6 years but was canceled without ceremony... I liked it.
4) My other purchase this month was the lenticular 50c. An annual coin for 11 years that ended a few years ago...I bought this one to fill my 12 slot case but I won't be buying a 2022 should one be issued. I can curtail my OCD.
5) Lack of consistency in size/composition/FV. You can get the $5 silver coin in 34mm, 36mm and 27mm. There are 40mm $20 silver coins and though they seem to have stabilized at 38mm, the $20 for $20 blew that out of the water. $200 Gold is also something that annoys. It is used for 1/2oz as in the annual sets and also 1 oz for one off issues. As NCLT drops in value over time, you can sometimes see folks trying to sell $200 1/2 oz coins for 1oz equivalent prices and I see novices getting caught in this... they think they are buying an ounce of gold bit are only getting 1/2.
6) The $1SD is frustrating as the vast majority are 36mm even though the composition has varied over the years but there is the 38mm "Two Loons" and 34mm piedfort "Matthew" that upset the apple cart. I have a 36mm set that stretches from 1935 (missing the 1911) and it irks me when a new release does not fit the collection/presentation methods I use.
7) And as noted in this thread above and in others... It would be nice if the RCM followed the US Mint practice of announcing their annual program early in the year so you can plan out what is important to you and where you want to spend. I have to assume that the USMint learns a great deal about popularity from their enrollment model where folks essentially pre-order coins in January...

My annual Canadian series updates are:
- 36mm SD in all of it's forms (and occasionally non 36mm)
- Annual circulating coins (all, including special editions such as the Insulin $2). I don't get super tied up in mint varieties (magnetic vs. non magnetic 1c but I do catch common varieties)
- $100 Gold - Now ended as of 2020 (I am not including 2021 in this set)
- $1 loon in all of its forms (base proof, Silver proof, specimen animal & apparently retired coloured silver proof).
- $2 Twoonie - Silver Proof and also apparently retired coloured proof.
- $350 Gold Animal series 1-1/8 oz Gold.

Beyond this, I have a long term collection goal to complete the $200 1/2oz gold but all other purchases these days are based on whether a particular item appeals. Finally, while I never say never, I really can't see me purchasing an artifact that is not coin shaped... whether a milk token/guitar pick or a starship enterprise or a carousel... these things have a right to exist but they are not coins and never will be... Just not in my wheelhouse. Now if there was a Silver Les Paul or Stratocaster... I would consider them for my guitar collection... but not my coins
Edited by vonigohcr
10/07/2021 3:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6736 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Lack of consistency in size/composition/FV.

I'm with you! I've posted about the Mint's inappropriate use of the same-sized planchet for multiple denominations several times over the years. Clearly, the Mint doesn't respect the history of its coins (regardless of what promotional messages it publishes!). It's a big part of why I generally consider nearly all NCLT to be medals with symbolic denominations stamped on them vs. coins. I don't have an issue with a change in composition as long as the size remains the same.

Quote:
The $1 SD is frustrating as the vast majority are 36mm even though the composition has varied over the years but there is the 38mm "Two Loons" and 34mm piedfort "Matthew" that upset the apple cart.

I simply ignore the non-36mm coins for my collection. I keep up my 36 mm silver dollar collection because it recalls Canada's silver dollar that circulated for 30+ years. If the Mint doesn't feel the need to respect the denomination, I don't feel the need to add such outlier pieces to my collection.

Quote:
And as noted in this thread above and in others... It would be nice if the RCM followed the US Mint practice of announcing their annual program early in the year...

Yes, it certainly would! Another issue we share. In the vast majority of cases, there's no need/reason for "Top Secret" status to be afforded to a mint's coin releases. A surprise or two over the course of the year would be fine with me, but not all coins every month!

In addition, I'm with you regarding the Mint's issues that aren't "coin-shaped." They simple aren't coins - regardless of what denomination is stamped on them (or what is says in the Royal Mint Act). Of course, I support any collector who enjoys adding these pieces to their collection - we all have our thing. Such pieces, however, will not become part of my collection - they aren't for me (I'm too traditional!).

Edited by commems
10/07/2021 2:04 pm
Valued Member
Canada
302 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2021  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rjlavoie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 100th Anniversary of Bluenose Special Wrap Roll Set and Commemorative Collector Keepsake released today adding a couple more variations of the 10 cent for this year. Lots this year for the 10 cent collectors.

single date, specimen with Queen E II
single date, uncirculated with Queen E II
double date, uncirculated with Queen E II
double date, proof plated steel with King G VI
double date, proof silver with King G VI
double date, coloured special design Bluenose coin with Queen E II
double date, struck-only special design Bluenose coin with Queen E II
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,737Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: