Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fake? Why This Date?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 489Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
71 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  2:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61514 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why do you think it's a fake?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1193 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned, but I believe it's genuine.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
9950 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The date looks terrible to me. I say fake.
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dontcha think these 2 are different?

Pillar of the Community
United States
5568 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not just the date. Compare bust details just above the date.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
11972 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also check the location of the 1 to the bust.
Definitely a counterfeit.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8422 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FAKE, Out of the known 34 die parings, not a single one has a date placement like this.

Address of seller returns an apartment house in Los Angeles, not a coin shop as they say.

https://lararecoinbuyers.com/

Website goes to a "Bad Security Certificate" then a 404 error page. I wouldn't trust them at all.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
09/28/2021 6:08 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61514 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On review, I stand corrected. Got to stop looking at these things quickly on my phone.
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First glance fake. It is not always the date that makes it worth to counterfeit. A common date is overlooked more often compared to a key date. A better condition common coin may have been good enough for the counterfeiter to make a few dollars.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2391 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Our friends across the Pacific will counterfeit any coin that can turn any profit. They produce complete date and mint sets made up entirely of counterfeit coins. Morgans, Buffs, SLQs, and others have "complete set" offerings on Forty Thieves and other sites. It's not just U.S. coins. For example, every date of the King VI Newfoundland ten cent series has been counterfeited, and many of those are $10-$20 coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7896 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  01:54 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Location of the last feather should be between the c and a of America on anything after 1886.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3081 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One look fake.

Reason to counterfeit? Unsuspecting date, unsuspecting buyers.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17514 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  12:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why do you think it's a fake?

Well for starters, it uses the 1864-1886 obv hub.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
104754 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2021  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well for starters, it uses the 1864-1886 obv hub.
Oops!

Good catch.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1618 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2021  01:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"One look fake"

For anyone who does NOT see this... IMMEDIATELY... learn NOW or stop buying coins.

Quote:
offerings on "Forty Thieves"

LOL, that's very insensitive to the bodega guy I'm about to go buy a tall boy from.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 489Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05