Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tiny Ae Coin ID Help 1 - Parthian?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 169Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Russian Federation
3673 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  9:06 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've bought a bunch of ancients recently, and will probably be posting some of them for ID in the next few days and/or weeks.

Starting with two tiny bronze coins... this one is the smaller of the two, at least in diameter.

Fairly sure it's Parthian, but I'm not very good at Parthian AE fractions. Do they even get that small?

9x8 mm. Misplaced my scale, so can't give weight at the moment. Sorry for photo quality, that thing's tiny.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6063 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Parthian. Likely a Sellwood 53.19, Phraates IV chalkous. Archer/legend reverse.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3673 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! From the online pictures, that looks like a match.

You say "likely"; are there other similar types?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6063 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would need time to verify - which, sadly, I don't have right now. But I'm reasonably confident in the ID. There are not many Parthian chalkoi with seated archers - a motif that is, of course, more commonly associated with drachms. Furthermore, there are even fewer AE's with archers AND legends. This may very well be the sole candidate. But, again, I'd need time to confirm by perusing Sellwood. I'm swamped for the next week, but if you PM me sometime after that, I would be able to confirm.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3673 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2021  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are not many Parthian chalkoi with seated archers - a motif that is, of course, more commonly associated with drachms.
Yeah, when I posted that coin elsewhere (a few hours ago), I was immediately told it's a drachm. When I mentioned the size I was told it's an obol and given a link to a type that clearly didn't match by motif.

Take your time, of course! I didn't intend to intrude on you; I was just wondering if "likely" meant something to the effect of "there are three types it could be but two of them are very rare".
Either way, probably worth the 1000 rubles (~$14) I paid for it... one of my most expensive ancients, but I really wanted a Parthian!
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 169Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: