Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Long Does Acetone Take To Work?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 401Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
79 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2021  2:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 2rtgah678 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
so I just accidentally put a fingerprint on one of my proof coins and I put it into a acetone bath within like 10mins of it happening. its been 1 day of soaking and it looks like it has faded but its not gone yet. I know the acetone should remove but does anyone know how long it should take? 4 days a week or 2? thanks
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2021  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone should be fast for that kind of thing. You make need to wipe it carefully with something soft.
Valued Member
United States
461 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2021  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a non-plastic q-tip. Soak the cotton until it is mushy, they gently "mop" the coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
5901 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2021  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep at it, soak for several hours and gently swab. Repeat if needed. Ensure the acetone stays fresh.
Valued Member
Canada
79 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2021  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 2rtgah678 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so every time I swab the coin I should use new acetone?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
16170 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2021  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A finger print on a coin can be a pain in the butt to remove
even with Acetone . Try a long soak 24 hours , and yes as mention a soft Q-Tip pass on the print . I would not try any other cleaner solution on your coin .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Valued Member
Russian Federation
68 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2021  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grinya to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope an Acetone you use is clean enough....
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20474 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2021  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As already mentioned make sure your Acetone is fresh. To test it place a small amount on a clean plate and allow to evaporate. Should leave no residue.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
106417 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As already mentioned make sure your Acetone is fresh. To test it place a small amount on a clean plate and allow to evaporate. Should leave no residue.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17555 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fingerprints are not just skin oils, there are also salts and organic acids present as well. The acetone will remove the oil almost instantly but salt deposits in the shape of the fingerprint may remain, and if you skin secretions are highly acidic they may have already reacted with the metal surface in which case they are permanent. If they are salt deposits a good rinse with distilled water may remove the deposits.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 401Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: