Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1925 S Wheat Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 339Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
104 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2021  8:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PNWHiker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm thinking its fairly low but its the best out of 3 I have. I'm curious as to where yall would grade this cent at.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61506 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2021  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll lead off with VF-30.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15957 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2021  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly what I was going to say , VF-30 .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
5565 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2021  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could go with a strong VF35.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10673 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2021  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF35.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17169 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you photograph it with a white background - a sheet of copy paper?
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3800 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2021  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These 20's branch mint cents can be really tricky because there were a lot of weak strikes out there that can be hard to differentiate from wear. The date and "In God We Trust" look really strong while the center details are less strong.

I'm thinking 40-45 but not real solid on that.

Valued Member
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2021  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bestjet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say a Jimmy Durante nose.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17169 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2021  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm thinking 40-45 but not real solid on that.

Waiting for better pictures, especially with respect to the color. I'm thinking AU/MS. The rims are so clean!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3800 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2021  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Waiting for better pictures, especially with respect to the color. I'm thinking AU/MS. The rims are so clean!

I had AU as a possibility in my mind but not really seeing any mint luster on these pictures so I bumped down.

The other thing interesting looking again - the tips of the right wheat stalk are strong, the left not so much so which seems unusual for it to be wear.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17169 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The other thing interesting looking again - the tips of the right wheat stalk are strong, the left not so much so which seems unusual for it to be wear.

Check out the wheat grains on the left stalk, they seem to be weaker than the right which is unusual for these. Maybe it was an over adjustment by the mint since the right side is normally weaker? SF mint was a joke in 24/25.

This is a really cool coin, I wish the OP would come back with pictures on a white background so I can gauge the color better. The strike of this coin makes for fascinating study to this Lincoln nerd. It has a LOT of interesting features.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
10/04/2021 10:18 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17169 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bump....come on OP! Where are you?
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10673 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i just had to revisit this one. "in god we trust" sharp. date & MM...sharp. reverse motto...sharp. right wheat stock...sharp. typical strike for the year plus worn die.

i originally had this one at VF35. I'm going mid AU at AU55. I think the lack of luster would preclude MS. as Badthad stated this is a lesson in the fact that you cant look at photograde to grade this one. hopefully a lesson for graders new to the field or grading weakly struck coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2391 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting critter. The strike weakness doesn't match the MDS die state, the peripherals are strong but uneven. The left wheat stalk either has die gouges at the top or PMD all along it. I wonder if the weak central devices suggest either a light ram setting or a slightly underweight/tapered planchet (weight would help here).

The marks along the left wheat stalk are interesting. The top two look raised, suggesting die gouges. The rest look incuse, suggesting PMD. That could be an optical illusion, though.

There is clear evidence of circulation, but it isn't heavy. Except for the new scratches, the obverse contact marks have wear on their edges. Maybe AU-53/AU-55, or AU Details if the marks along the left wheat stalk are PMD?

EDIT: Yikes. I just read the upthread comments. Maybe I'm way off here?
Edited by fortcollins
10/13/2021 7:58 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61506 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I could see EF-45 or so, but the idea of this being almost uncirculated is just a bit over my experience level.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 339Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05