Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cracking On An 8 Reales

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 399Next Topic  
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2021  12:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jdsmall to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't own this coin, but in searching to add to my collection I have seen several pictures of reales with this type of cracking. Is this typical of an authentic piece? Or is this a big red flag. Thank you for any responses.
Pillar of the Community
Hong Kong
1255 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  02:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wonghinghi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks ok to me. Is the weight correct? Dose it pass the ping test? If both are correct, it is real.
Indonesia
6 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Npanda to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for hijacking this thread *snigger*

Hi Master Wong, if you don't mind could you share with me sone of your expert opinion on the 8 reales coins' characteristics that ive just posted in my thread? Cheers..

I speak Cantonese as well :)
Pillar of the Community
Hong Kong
1255 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2021  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wonghinghi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The so-called "cracking" on this coin is commonly seen on Spanish mexican 8 Reales from 17xx- 182x. I suppose this is a technical problem during minting, but I can't tell anything about this issue (swamperbob can tell). I never see any modern counterfeits have this feature.

Back to basic knowledge, is the weight, diameter and content of Ag correct, if correct, it should be real. Modern counterfeit can seldom to fulfil the about 3 standards esp. for such commonly seen pieces.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2439 Posts
 Posted 11/03/2021  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few 8R's that have lines like these. Here's one explanation for these random radial flow lines.

http://www.error-ref.com/radial-flow-lines/

They're attributed to cold metal flow from the planchets wearing the die over time. I thought that they might be planchet cracking, but that looks much different from the bunched lines seen at the coin periphery. They're a struck feature from a worn die.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
11/03/2021 10:54 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 399Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: