Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thoughts On American Innovation Reverse Proof $1 Coins?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 1,086Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3576 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are not commemoratives, but circulation coins, albeit NIFC. So there is no requirement that they are pulled off sale at the end of the year.

They will stay there in the catalog for years, selling a few at a time.

Why? Because when they were monetized, the mint booked the $1 face minus the cost of manufacture (8 or 9 cents) as "profit", technically seigniorage. If the mint melts them down, they have a "loss" of that same 90 +/- cents per coin. It costs the mint next to nothing to store them, list them in the catalog and sell a few.
-----Burton
47 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've bought the P & D issues together as a year date set from a dealer after May for just under $2.00 each. The proof and reverse proofs from the mint. This year the rp's are issued as a set rather than individually which I think is much better since it's far cheaper than individually as previously released. And yes, I also believe they are an under the radar series.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United States
1079 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just noticed today that the reverse-proof set is priced at $28.00. It's four dollars more than the base proof set, but at least it's $18.00 cheaper than the 2020 coins.
Valued Member
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eagle4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^^^Yes the price is great news. Also good that the set is still limited to 50K units.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1588 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$7.00 each coin is more like it. I might get back in on the reverse proofs afterall.
I still hate to think about doing this set for another decade though. I ain't no spring chicken!
Pillar of the Community
United States
915 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had originally decided against buying the reverse proof coins because they were only sold individually (at least before). And I think the difference between the proof and reverse proof innovation dollars are not significant, so I only bought the proof set. Other coins look much more different between proof and reverse proof. Since I doubt this has changed in my mind, I will stick to the proof coins only.

I think the biggest reason these don't sell much is because there simply is no marketing of these coins. Outside the mint, no one is really selling these coins. So the general public doesn't even know they exist. They were never produced for actual circulation, and probably never will. But I still hold out hope that someday there will be no paper dollar and all dollar coins can circulate again!
Learn More...
United States
106373 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just noticed today that the reverse-proof set is priced at $28.00. It's four dollars more than the base proof set, but at least it's $18.00 cheaper than the 2020 coins.

Quote:
$7.00 each coin is more like it. I might get back in on the reverse proofs afterall.
Same. Good thing Dansco has not sold me an album yet. I have to get the "proof album" to hold both Proof and Reverse Proof dollars.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17555 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But I still hold out hope that someday there will be no paper dollar and all dollar coins can circulate again!

Even if they did, don't expect the Innovation dollars to circulate. The mintages are low, basically just what they needed for the Mint sets and the roll and bag sets sold directly to collectors for a premium. Unless of course they were to eliminate the dollar note while the series was still ongoing. Then the later issues would probably be issue in large enough quantity for them to circulate.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
106373 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unless of course they were to eliminate the dollar note while the series was still ongoing. Then the later issues would probably be issue in large enough quantity for them to circulate.
Valued Member
United States
239 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parnelli917 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy coins for different reasons. Some, because I hope they might increase in value. Some, because they represent history. Some, because I just like the coin's design. While I own some AIs, I'm not a huge fan of the coins. Guess I want a dollar coin to be big and heavy. But no matter what my reason, I'm always happy when a coin shows up in the mail. So, you're the only one that matters when it comes to your reasons for buying them. Just enjoy them.

BTW, I think I still have and unopened "Billy Beer". According to eBay, worth about .99 cents after 40+ years!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3576 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2021  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And it will cost you a $1,500 ER visit if you open and drink it.
-----Burton
47 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DanFielding to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^^Billy Beer! That's funny. My mother has a can of JR Ewing beer on top the fridge in her basement. You can but it for more than the Billy Beer on ebay.
Learn More...
United States
106373 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And it will cost you a $1,500 ER visit if you open and drink it.
"Hold my beer..."
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Out for delivery today.
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2021  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not really, but the regular proof set is.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 1,086Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: