Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1937-D Buffalo-3 Legger?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 526Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
113 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  3:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This was in a Whitman folder of Buffaloes I won in an auction. Even though it was in the right slot, I paid no mind to it when bidding. It seems to have a lot of the die markers for the 3 legger. The reverse has been cleaned and it's hard to get a good photo. I did better with my scope.

OBVERSE

small feather - almost a 2 3/4 feather as it is not attached at the base by the head
back of upper neck - is mottled or moth eaten
a reverse, upside down V sticking out in front of the first hair braid below the twine
lower neck die crack, with couple breaks .. almost looks like a couple of pearls necklace

REVERSE

arch spreading down below sheath in field
Right Rear leg above hock is thinner than the left
E Pluribus Unum is clearly separated from back of buffalo
mintmark D size, shape and location
left side of beard is shorter

Edited by Jerry Picker
10/04/2021 5:08 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12543 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it is definitely a 3 leg Buffalo
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62762 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure looks good to me.
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is all I saw, no reverse shot.

Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find and a fantastic bonus!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5893 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does pay to check the reverse of Whitman folder coins. A few years ago I popped out an '09 Wheat cent in AU++ condition to discover a VDB on the reverse--it was in the '09 (no VDB) slot.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3270 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks correct to me. Shame about the cleaning, nonetheless, a great score!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62762 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it does look cleaned.
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah. They cleaned the piss outta it, if you catch my drift.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17555 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2021  04:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me like too much of the front leg is missing. Other than that it looks good.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20470 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice find.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a macro lens for my phone. These are a little better pics.

Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jerry Picker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SOLD!!!! $425
Pillar of the Community
United States
772 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2021  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Check sheldius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats Jerry Picker. Nice extra in that folder.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5271 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2021  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats! A huge score for sure.

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Varieties and Colonial Coinage
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2021  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BrettS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the real deal! Great find!

$$$
Edited by BrettS
11/01/2021 5:03 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 526Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: