Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1793 1c Chain Cent Ameri. - Sheldon 1

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 112 / Views: 3,940Next Topic
Page: of 8
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  06:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add apcol258 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it certain that they are the same coin tooled and worked over, or is there a chance that the PCGS coin is a copy struck from the original NGC details coin?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3255 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NS, you need to take action to return the coin and get your money back.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8471 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still happy with the coin. Thanks!
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add burfle23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it possible to get a better image of the coin in the PCGS holder? Looks like there are no images on the PCGS on-line cert.
Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1997 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you're happy with it, that's the important thing.

Am I wrong in thinking that whoever did this must have a lot of experience? It makes me wonder how many other coins have passed through this doctor's hands. I do see metal that was moved around the L.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62954 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've only just now caught up on all this. Still can't believe what I'm reading and seeing.
Valued Member
United States
424 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might be time for a major coin magazine write-up on this one?!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8471 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've stacked the dates on:
1. The Carlyle Luer Coin
2. My Coin - the "improved" version of the Luer Coin
3. An MS64+BN S-1 that sold for $1.5 million and I think is authentic

I think the 3 looks wrong given that there was only one die pair for this variety.

Edited by numismatic student
10/16/2021 2:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
699 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice observation! The 3's in the date definitely look different. The top flat part of the 3 is angled slightly different and the end trails up too far. The bottom of the 7 is squared off while the original is rounded.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3255 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is from NGC F Details S-1 and the tail in the 3 is faint.

OPS1

Below is the 3 from a S2 and the long tail 3 can be found more often, but the shape of the 3 is a little different:
Edited by Slider23
10/17/2021 10:32 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
857 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A beautiful example of a terrible design. Thanks for sharing!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3314 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are two PCGS examples, one MS-61 and VF20. Similar 3, flatter top, longer tail to that of the OP. Strike and wear seem to affect the appearance of the 3, and seems to vary. NS, your example definitely seems to be the most extreme in regards to the 3's appearance. Definitely a PCGS oversight.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8471 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All those 3s do not look like they could have been produced from the same obverse die. The most telling imho is that the top of the 3 sits at a different angle.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62954 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My thought exactly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9713 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems PCGS is on the hook for a substantial sum. This is big news in numismatics and warrants exposure in Coin World. Potential repercussions in the industry are large.
ANA #R3154474
Page: of 8 Previous TopicReplies: 112 / Views: 3,940Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: