Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rare Token Out Of The Ground

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 203Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
240 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  6:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ironhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey hey diggers! (and all my collecting friends!)
Well here we are in the middle of harvest season and the crops are coming out of the fields at a pretty steady rate. I got a chance to get back to an older site I hunted a few years back with decent results and it's been a couple of years since I've been down there and the plough has gone through a couple of times so there was a chance things got tossed around out there in the ground and I might get a shot at a few targets I missed in the past.
Great conditions as the field was just seeded for a cover crop and signals were few but I did get a few chances at something good. Feeling the spot was hunted out I decided to head for the car and on the way at the edge of the site I got a great coin tone...I was right it was and a good one too! The sheaf of wheat token is about as rare as they come in the token world so I'm happy to have this one.
Not in great condition but easily identified and not as bad as some other coppers I've found.
It's not very often these gems pop out so I'm pretty happy to have this one!
Until next time...the rare ones are out there!! Go get 'em!

https://www.coinsandcanada.com/toke...id=40&id=222

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9999 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find for sure. Looks to have considerable value despite the condition. Congrats!
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Valued Member
United States
367 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Interesting, to say the least! I wonder if conservation is a sensible option. You might want to discuss that a bit with the experts in the Canadian Tokens forum here: http://goccf.com/t/163981

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12018 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find!
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Valued Member
Canada
240 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  06:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ironhorse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for your responses guys!

@daltonista...I'm not too sure if there could be any further conservation to this piece. My experience with dug coins over the past thirty years tells me that unfortunately this is about as good as it's going to be from now on.
It will always be detailed due to heavy corrosion from the ground.
Sadly in this case, all remaining detail remains mostly in the surface patina...remove that and you remove the visible detail left in the devices.
I'm happy to leave it the way it is for now knowing that fooling with it further will only destroy it.

Please keep in mind that I had to remove dirt and corrosion already ( via a soak in hydrogen peroxide which removes dirt etc but preserves patina) and for photograph purposes a thin coat of Renaissance wax to remove the dry look h2o2 leaves.

However, my methods may not be the end all here...I would be happy to get another perspective on preservation from other collectors.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 203Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05