Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

France 1650 Pau Louis Xiv Ecu

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 297Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2184 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  8:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This ecu arrived today from a German auction house.

I'm trying to get nice examples of all the various types. This one is the first listed in the table below. Seems much rarer than the R1 designation.

Learn More...
United States
21365 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2021  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice addition to your collection @t360. Looks like it is still in great shape with some honest circulation wear. I wonder if you could help me to understand the combo B and D "letter" at the end of the obv inscription. I'm not sure that I recall seeing that before—is it a mint maker mark?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
3160 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Close to VF overall, some real flattening on Louis neck and breast, possibly a thumb on it or bad strike which lead to that wearing quicker.

Lovely early milled coin.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2184 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  04:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
understand the combo B and D "letter" at the end of the obv inscription

The ligature BD appears in the obverse legend on French coins struck in Béarn after it was incorporated into France, beginning with Louis XIII, and continuing until the French Revolution. It is part of the titles of the Kings of France meaning Seigneur (Lord) of Béarn. I suspect that the ligature may have come about as an abbreviation of the Latin phrase "Béarn Deus". It appears earlier on the coins of Navarre-Bearn of Henry III (later Henry IV of France, Louis XIII's father).
Edited by t360
10/07/2021 04:58 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
858 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  06:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin. Obverse TB15, reverse TB20 I would say.

Quote:
understand the combo B and D "letter" at the end of the obv inscription

Lord of Béarn, yes - the ligature should be read DB and stands for Dominus Bearnie. It was used on French coins from Pau/Béarn, together with the two cows (the coat of arms of Béarn), from Henry IV to Louis XVI. That coins from Béarn were allowed a special design, and inscription, probably was because the line of Bourbon kings from Henry IV and on had its origin in Pau.
Learn More...
United States
21365 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  06:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok fascinating explanation—thx guys, and sorry to hijack the thread a bit. That is a gorgeous coin.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2184 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the ligature should be read DB and stands for Dominus Bearnie

Thank you for the clarification! I looked back in my collection and found a 1570 teston of Jeanne d'Albret of Navarre-Bearn (mother Henry IV) in which "D B" is not ligated:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
858 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a very nice Jeanne d'Albret teston - I still have to find one in good condition for my collection. The D B here of course should be read Domina Bearnie.

I think it was Henry IV, while still Henry III of Navarre, who began ligating the DB on coins. Before him, it was written "D B", or even spelled out completely or in some short form (depending on the size of the coin).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5137 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely coins @t360.

I made a decision some time ago to forego Royal France in my collection, but I love to enjoy them vicariously!

And to learn from you and erafjel.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
858 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  04:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I made a decision some time ago to forego Royal France in my collection
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22900 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin, VF-20. Possible old cleaning.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 297Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: