Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Selling Empty Card/Packaging? No Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 331Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  04:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What's with ebay being flooded with items that are just the empty display card or packaging that used to house NCLT coins. [COIN NOT INCLUDED].

I've always been suspicious that the packaging of many ridiculously priced NCLT coins was more valuable than the coin itself.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1079 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure if you are specifically speaking of Australian coinage, but I will confirm that the same is happening up here in the U.S. and Canada. Maybe I just failed noticing in the past, but it does seem that sales of coin packaging has really taken 'off' recently.

I DO see the reasoning behind a demand (although a lite demand) for empty packaging. When I began collecting NIFC Canadian coins I started with quarters only. Over time I started to include other denominations. It wasn't until pretty late in the game that I figured out that buying complete sets was a smarter (and cheaper) was to acquire my needs.

Now I have completed (as of now) all Canadian proof and specimen sets, including varieties, from 1981 and 1971 (respectively). All coins are nicely labelled and stapled into 2x2's and in specific binders by denomination. The empty containers that many came from are stored away in tubs. On occasion, I have thoughts of taking all the coins out of the 2x2's, putting them back into the wallet-type packaging, and displaying them that way in bookshelves or wall shelves, so it would make sense to be able to include years where I bought the coins individually in the same type of holders.

Also, if I were to pass away and my kids would rather sell my collection instead of keeping it, it would be MUCH easier for them to make ONE sale instead of six or seven separate sales for a year's proof set, by having all denominations in one package.

Hence, I can see why people would be interested in buying empty containers. However, the selling/purchase price would have to be significantly lower than a 'full' package.
Learn More...
Australia
13931 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have assumed that, in America at least, the stockpiles of empty mint packaging would have come from people submitting coins to be slabbed.

As for who would want to buy such items... well, counterfeiters, for starters.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Canada
262 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2021  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdngmt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect that many of the empty mint packaging is from sets being broken out for sale on websites or coins being sold for melt. Since shipping a box and package can add up to $15-20 over coins shipped by mail in Canada, many Non circulating commemorative coins end up losing their boxes etc.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6782 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2021  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I realize this thread has a bit of age to it, but I just noticed it and wanted to share my thoughts...

As others have mentioned, breaking up packaged sets for individual coin storage (e.g., albums) and sale and/or removing coins from packaging in order to submit them for grading are the biggest reasons for so many Original Government Packages (OGP) being available on the secondary market. IMO, these two reasons likely account for more than 90% of the available empty packages. The dramatic rise in the submission of modern non-circulating (NCLT) / not intended for circulation (NIFC) coins for grading has created lots of empty packaging!

While those with nefarious intent might be attracted to the empties, there are also legitimate re-uses for the packaging. I have posted about one of my endeavors before (see link below). My uses of the empty OGP I've purchased have all been very honest and legitimate and have aided in my presentation of the coins inserted into them. I can't imagine I'm the only collector who has done so!

- New Use For Previous Mint ASE OGP

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5969 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2021  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with commems. Over many years of collecting, I've generated a nice pile of 'empty' original government packaging.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 331Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: