Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ofec - How Do You Choose "The One"?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 315Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  03:02 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am interested to hear how people decide which coin from each country goes into their One From Each Country collection, especially for the countries where you have a very wide selection of coins on hand to choose from.

Do you collect by size, era, mintage, metal?

Personally I am trying to fit my OFEC collection into 3 sheets of 72 pockets each, so I am limited by size (up to about 23 mm).

Still tough to choose between a shiny new uncirculated example of a relatively low value coin or a lower grade key date coin.

Cheers.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3344 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  05:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not fussed, I just take what ever coin I find.
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  06:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just take what ever coin I find

Really, so it's all about the number of different countries and not the coins themselves. Be interested to know which Australian coin you've got then.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4321 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  06:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm an OFEC collector, among other things, and where there is a choice, I choose in roughly this order: grade, size (bigger is better), metal content (I prefer silver), and then the design (a design I like better). Also, my preference is for actual circulating coins. Value is not an important consideration. So I would prefer a common Lincoln cent in MS over a worn 1877 cent, for purposes of this collection only. I would of course gladly have the 1877 to go in another collection. For Canada, where I have much choice, I picked one of the silver dollars, the 1949 issue.
Edited by oriole
10/08/2021 06:39 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3344 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  06:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Really, so it's all about the number of different countries and not the coins themselves. Be interested to know which Australian coin you've got then.

I am in Australia, so I have most of the circulation coins.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 16,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For Canada, where I have much choice, I picked one of the silver dollars, the 1949 issue.

Nice. Low mintage and silver.

Quote:
I am in Australia, so I have most of the circulation coins.

Yes, but you can only have ONE Australian coin in your OFEC collection.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5152 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have an OFEC, but for other areas of my collection, and I pick the coin that I am most attracted to that fits my budget.
Regardless of denomination, grade, metal content, etc.

I know that's subjective, but the idea is to like the coin you've chosen!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3344 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes, but you can only have ONE Australian coin in your OFEC collection.

Ok, I'll pick this one then.

Steve :)
OFEC count = 237
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, can you really spare that one for your OFEC collection. I would have bet money on you choosing this coin:
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3344 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As much as I like that one, I would have 2 other choices before that. I can see why you thought that though, as it's my avatar.

These 2...

I really like the Ram's head design.

The 20c W.A. coin is much nicer than the 50c.

Steve.
OFEC count = 237
Pillar of the Community
United States
1241 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you collect one per country, and limit it to the 21st century alone, you should have about 213 coins (plus or minus some).
A very easy way to begin is to buy a bag of something like "500 world coins from about 150 countries".
Items like this in other quantities like 100 or 200 coins from different countries can be found searching online.
Learn More...
United States
21456 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, it was largely first available, although I would generally try to find something silver over copper.

Added: also, I should point out that for me it has turned into ALOFEC (at least one from every country). I'm not chucking coins just because I found a better one from the same country.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
Australia
13931 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, it's not "strict OFEC". I would say I'm more "At Least/ One From Every Country. So I don't have to worry about "which one is The One".
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3578 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does it talk to you?

Come join Everycountry on groups.io/g/everycountry and we'll help you...
-----Burton
47 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 315Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: