Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Reporting A Fraudulent Listing On Ebay

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 803Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
2732 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  5:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wrote the seller to tell him this coin was not the overdate he claimed it to be. He proceeded to tell me that a coin I ad for sale for $50 was worth $25. My coin was a Grellman attributed R-5 + large cent. How do you report this to ebay? I know somehow counterfeits get reported. Can something like this be too? Coin has 1 bid for $60 and its not worth even half that. Here is the listing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/403202365610
Pillar of the Community
United States
672 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you scroll to the bottom, you can find the "Report this item" button.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2732 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. Gave it a try.
Pillar of the Community
United States
672 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome. I reported it as well. Not sure exactly how reporting works and how long it takes for the ad to be taken down, but hopefully it does something.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62864 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reporting it does nothing but open up an investigation, not always by the most competent people. Don't hold your breath.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2732 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so ebay did nothing about this. Disappointing
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
62864 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They need multiple reports, or perhaps even a single report from a moderator of a forum like this.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17557 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see the listing as being fraudulent. It isn't what he says it is, but his images are good enough to clearly show that it is NOT that variety, or in the condition he describes. I think it is more "wishful thinking" and fraud was not intended.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
8546 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One look at another of his offerings is pretty suspect as well. 40 over 41 dime?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403215501302

Not a good track record either, even his feedback shows a fake 42/41 dime sold and aged faked baseball cards previously completed. I'd stay far away from this fellow, too bad the report button really has little consequences any more. Only so much eBay can do, he will just keep coming back again and again, even if under a new account.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
10/12/2021 8:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2732 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so the coin ws not a counterfeit so I really didn't know what to call this besides fraudulent. When someone is portraying something he or she is selling as something its not I would call that fraud. Trying to profit on someone else not knowing what to look for in the overdate and the condition would be that by definition in my book.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21483 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When someone is portraying something he or she is selling as something its not I would call that fraud.

There is no way to prove fraud by looking at an ebay listing alone. There is one very important thing that must be present for it to be fraud..... Intent.

If he truly believes it is what he says it is, it's not fraud.
Learn More...
United States
106468 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If he truly believes it is what he says it is, it's not fraud.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21483 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took care of both listings.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2732 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so if seller believes what they are selling initially is an overdate coin, but is told with absolute certainty that its not but doesn't change the listing then that's not deceit or fraud?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
12569 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You don't have to prove it was fraud as eBay will remove the listing for being a "Misidentified Listing"
The seller can then relist it using the proper description if they so choose. They don't usually relist though.
This seller actually had four listings removed for the same thing and so far none have been relisted.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21483 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
so if seller believes what they are selling initially is an overdate coin, but is told with absolute certainty that its not but doesn't change the listing then that's not deceit or fraud?

Not if he still believes it to be true. Fraud requires intent.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 803Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: