Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Received Notice From PCGS That The 1931-S Lincoln I Submitted Is Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 634Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
362 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  11:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add grospoisson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I received grades on 10/8 for 10 coins logged in 8/3 at PCGS (economy level) in my effort to complete a set at least XF of all Lincoln wheats excluding varieties . I submitted a 11-s, 12-s 11-d, 09-s, 1919-d, 1920, 1924-d, 1928-d, 31-s, and a 1918-s.

Twenty years ago I bought a 1918-s au-58 NGC straight graded. A beautiful coin that is mostly deep brown like dark chocolate with no signs of wear. I paid 18$ for it on ebay. At the time I was placing coins in a dansco Lincoln album so I cracked the thing out of the holder.

Fast forward to 2021 , and seeing my Lincolns begin to change colors in my album, I decided to slowly get them all in slabs. Over the years I slowly bought some teen year slabs.

I carefully selected 9 coins from my album that I thought would surely get graded, since all but two were in circulated condition. The 1931-s I just posted for you guys to grade was a coin I previously had slabbed. I sent the additional 1931-s for grading with intentions of trading or selling.

My major concern was the 1928-d and the 1920 unc coins and possibly the 1912-s . Her are my results.

1911-s and 1912-s old cleaning XF AND AU details
1919-d and 1918-s artifical color
1931-s counterfeit
1909-s and 1911-d both with scratch VF AND unc details respectfully
1924-d XF-40
1928-d and 1920 both MS-63 RB ( the two I worried about)

I will post pictures when I get these back for help identifying problems.

Placing several of these coins side by side straight graded from PCGS, I cannot see any difference even under high magnification. However I am supposed to keep my mouth shut and accept the results, because they are the "EXPERTS".

Of course I will hear "learn how to grade" or "
don't submit" if I can't see evidence I will continue to make the same mistakes.

Anyway I hope some of you guys can help me learn.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64205 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bummer. Standing by for pics.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7440 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Disappointing results for sure. Looking forward to some photos.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2047 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC says "This issue has been widely faked by adding an S mintmark to a 1931(P) cent or by altering the date on a genuine S-Mint cent of some other date in the 1930s. Most of these alterations are easily detected"

Hope to see some pictures.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6672 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, eager to see large and sharp photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3828 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy my coins based on my own knowledge and eye appeal and don't really care that much what PCGS has to say. I mean obviously the counterfeit is a huge issue but some of the lesser things I'd have to see the coins before I would just take PCGS' word for it. Understand the disappointment though.
Edited by KenKat
10/09/2021 3:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3525 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you wound up with some good learning tools. Study them. I won't say "learn how to grade", but rather PCGS seems to have a different take on your coins than you had. Which is right? Depends what your end goal is.

If it's to wind up with a straight graded PCGS slabbed set then I would either buy already slabbed, or study study study what results you have along with countless other examples. Hit the local LCS and coin shows when possible and study their slabbed examples. It's not going to be an overnight learning experience. But one needs to learn what is considered "market acceptable" ( PCGS opinion, though they can get it "wrong") if you want to buy raw and then slab them.

Or crack them out or enjoy them as is in a Details holder if you feel differently about the coin than PCGS did.

It can certainly be a frustrating and costly experience. Look forward to seeing some pictures of the results.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4579 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know you want a "slabbed" LWC set and I still don't understand why, so the only advice I'm going to offer is that until you are getting 75-85% of the grades correct (like AU53 comes back AU55) don't send any coins in. You'll just waste your money.

I think that trying to get a complete LWC set with circulated coins is not a very smart (money wise) thing to do.
Edited by hfjacinto
10/09/2021 11:26 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 634Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: