Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The Hype On Dansco Albums.

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 911Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I definitely prefer Dansco albums to Whitman, Intercept Shield, and Littleton, but that's personal preference. To me, the Dansco albums are of higher quality: they are thicker, stronger, have a better material feel, and are made in the USA instead of overseas. I also prefer their appearance, the brown and gold is a good look in my eyes compared to the Whitman blue and the Littleton green.

It is not true that your collection is inferior if not in Dansco albums. The collection is the collection, the album is just where you store it.

A year or two ago I bought a Whitman album because it was way cheaper than Dansco, but I was pretty sorely let down by the feel and quality. I personally would not buy another Whitman album because of that, but by no means do I look down on those that do, they just don't have a place in my collection.
[Custom 7070 v3.0 WIP] - - - [Custom 7070 v2.0] - - - [Custom 7070 v1.0]
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3305 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also a fan of Dansco. I'd say 3/4 of my albums are Dansco, the remaining are Whitman. As others have stated, the Dansco's are more durable and hold up better over time. That said, I prefer the Whitman blue against silver/nickel coinage, just wish the build quality wasn't so paper thin on the Whitman's. Never liked Littleton. To each their own.
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I prefer the Whitman blue against silver/nickel coinage
It is funny, the vast majority like how the blue contrasts with their coins. I actually like the beige better, no matter what metal is used.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have all three. It comes down to price at the time of purchase for me. I would suspect that most like how DANSCO is more book-like with their spine near even with the pages inside. As for quality all three seem equal in my opinion. Unless the Whitman is a newer version made in China. I feel quality in material to be questionable. So I'm down to two companies, DANSCO and Littleton.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Edited by Ballyhoo
10/11/2021 5:46 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10904 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
as a rookie decades ago I had everything in whitman blue cardboard folders. bad move as I rarely opened them and looked at the coins. after 40 years in them many I would now consider detail coins due to ED. every coin in my Dansco albums have not changed
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
as a rookie decades ago I had everything in whitman blue cardboard folders.
A lot of us started there.

I was actually thinking of upgrading my folders to Whitman albums when my Grandfather took me to a coin shop his buddy owned. They talked me into getting two Dansco albums (Ike and Kennedy). Since my grandfather was buying I was not questioning the choice. I have been happy ever since.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1728 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't understand the Whitman bashing. I like my blue Whitman albums and they seem sturdy enough. I had some slipcases made for them and that seem to keep them even better in shape.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1728 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a photo of my albums in my bookcase:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2490 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Virtually all of my albums are either National Coin Albums (Wayte Raymond's amazing golden coin toners) or Library of Coins. Yes, seriously. And no, the Library of Coins bindings haven't held up well over the 50+ years, but they were one of the few with Canadian coin albums.
Pillar of the Community
United States
688 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  03:08 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started off with Library of Coins as well. I gave up quickly because there was always something wrong with the album. Either the binding was falling apart or the slides were unusable. That company has a lot of good albums with a vast variety. Cheap too!
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My preference is air-tite capsule and lighthouse pages and binders. Beyond those I don't see much difference in Dansco or Whitman. I use both but on put uncirculated coins in air tites. I prefer the look of the Whitman over the Dansco but I think part of the reason is nostalgia for me,
Lighthouse are over priced and take up too much space but I think they offer the best protection.
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is a photo of my albums in my bookcase:
Looking good!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1728 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looking good!

As you can see I had matching slipcases made for the albums. I think it works well.
Learn More...
United States
106502 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2021  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As you can see I had matching slipcases made for the albums. I think it works well.
The slipcases will help keep everything (coins and albums) in great condition.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 911Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: