Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Commemorative Collection So Far . . .

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 474Next Topic  
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  3:16 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add russell1256 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61507 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about some close-ups of your favorites?

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7271 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

Pursuit of a type set of classic silver commemorative provides an amazing journey of exploration and learning of USA numismatic history - and the diverse history represented in each coin.

The variety and beauty of each coin is unmatched in any other US coin series - and as such I welcome you to the pursuit.

Should you continue down this path you will find great satisfaction in collecting amazing coins - and I extend to you my best of wishes on that journey.

I would enjoy seeing an individual photo of your Grant half - I suspect we might have some discussion on authenticity.

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
10/09/2021 7:17 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
402 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good start to your collection, and good luck in your continuing hunt! Building my classic commemorative collection was a very enjoyable and rewarding pursuit for 8 years, and it continues still as I'm now in the upgrading phase . I love the series and the stories behind each issue.

The forum member "commems" has an extensive library of information on the classic commemoratives and related material you may find useful:

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...-classic.asp

Oh, and
Edited by hokiefan_82
10/09/2021 7:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2625 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...I suspect we might have some discussion on authenticity.

Do tell.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6542 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2021  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...I suspect we might have some discussion on authenticity.

Quote:
Do tell.

I don't want to "steal" nickelsearcher's thunder - I'm sure he'll be back soon. But, my eyes see a color that doesn't look quite right and an obverse that appears to be missing a key element (a diagnostic for a particular group of Grant fakes).

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  01:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add russell1256 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nickelsearcher, think this may not be real?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7271 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
nickelsearcher, think this may not be real?

I believe commems sees the same apparent missing diagnostic as I do.

I suspect that the obverse is missing the incuse monogram of the designer Laura Gardin Fraser initials. The font of the lettering also does not appear to match my genuine examples.

I can not say for sure by the obverse photo you provided. Please resize the photo best you can to be larger and in particular we wish to examine the area below Grant's bust between the dates 1822 and 1922.

Also - do you have an accurate scale to weigh the coin? It should be right around 12.50 grams if genuine.

Know that the CCF has many folks who are truly experts and it always our pleasure to be of help and share knowledge. It is in that spirit of support that I'm raising these questions on your Grant coin.

Take cheer in knowing that the journey to collect these tremendous coins is a long and rewarding one, and that we are here to help you along the way.

Hopeful that a larger photo will prove my suspicions incorrect!

Edited by nickelsearcher
10/10/2021 07:54 am
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add russell1256 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
how is this, any other areas you want to see?

United States
28 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add russell1256 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7271 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That 'circle' below Grant bust certainly resembles the LGF monogram I was looking for. It's in the proper location although your image does not show the internal detail (it's an incuse monogram, not just a circle).

I withdraw my concerns about that element.

Surface color and font still do not look correct to my eye. When you get an opportunity, let us know the weight.

I look forward to seeing what coins you add to your set.
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add russell1256 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The monogram does have elements inside of it. I do not have a scale, is there anything else I can look for?
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add russell1256 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Should I post any other pictures?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7271 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My sincere apologies Russell if I've somehow left you dangling based on my input.

No additional photos needed, you have resolved my initial concern.

I'm still not convinced the coin is genuine but will wait on further comment until you can provide an accurate weight.

You are on the road towards a tremendous and fulfilling collecting journey with these classic silver commemorative - and I wish for you the best on that pursuit.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
402 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@russell1256 - if you're interested, there are a number of inexpensive digital scales on Amazon, accurate to within .01 grams. I think I spent less than $20 on mine a few years ago, and I use it frequently. One of those things that you think afterwards, "Why didn't I get one of these a long time ago!".
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 474Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05