Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1958 Penny DDO / DDR? Are Those Die Chips?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 340Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2021  11:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Krisalane to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've found this penny in my pile. Can you please help me identify it?
While I'm still on the low side of the coin error search curve, at least my photography skills have improved! Thanks again for helping!
ETA: I'm guessing for die chips by the tie and on the T in cent? Am I getting any closer here?

Edited by Krisalane
10/11/2021 1:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
627 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  01:03 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe some DDD. Some of the Lincoln cent variety experts around here can maybe identify something specific...
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krisalane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Mr Crispies. I can't seem to find that bowtie referenced anywhere. Maybe just a well placed scratch?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7507 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Next to the bow tie looks to be a die chip, the rest look like scratches. The "T" in "cent" on the reverse, might be a die chip or damage... is it incuse or raised? BTW, the black spots on your cent? These are called "carbon spots" although they are created, not with contact with carbon, but contact with sulfur from the environment (air, usually). They will continue to enlarge and grow deep into the coin.
ça va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krisalane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The markings on the T are raised both at the top right corner and down the base, The spot by the bowtie is raised as well. Is that a die crack in his forehead?
Carbon spots? Is there a way to stop them, or do I want them to eat Abe?
Edited by Krisalane
10/11/2021 2:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7507 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no stopping carbon spots. Verdi-Care won't work, nor will acetone. Researching this, the basic recommendation is to replace the coin since carbon spots are impossible to remove. Bottom line: carbon spots are just post mint damage ( PMD). Sorry.
ça va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JC Stevens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a die chip on the tie. In the 1969 edition of "THE CLASSIFICATION AND VALUE OF ERRORS ON THE Lincoln CENT" by Jean Cohen there are listings for what she called "DIEBREAKS AT TIE".
Starting on page 277 there 25 listings for die chips on the tie for the 1958 cent. Your die chip matches some of the markers for 58-T9 on page 277
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54570 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are from carbon spots in the planchet. So they are not able to be fixed.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2021  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Krisalane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks fpr the help. I'm tyring to find more about that diebreak/ Jean Cohen 58-T9 not finding much when I search. If anyone has a photo or a link it would be appreciated.
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2021  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JC Stevens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CONECA now has the coins and the copyright for Jean Cohen's collection. Sorry to say they have never done anything with it. You need to get permission from them to post images from the book. She cataloged, illustrated and listed all kinds of errors, some of which we now call varieties, on the Lincoln Cents from 1909 through 1969. Her book the 1969 edition of "THE CLASSIFICATION AND VALUE OF ERRORS ON THE Lincoln CENT" is a must have for any collector of Lincoln Cent Errors and Varieties.
If you're an ANA member you can check the book from the ANA Library.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 340Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: