Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This 1928 F 2$ Considered A Mule? Or Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 798Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  12:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add enzeno to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been researching this bill trying to understand if its possibly a mule. My understanding is that its clear when the BP number is Macro(1MM)/Micro (.6MM). And the bill shown has both sides with MACRO. However I had seen some mention the difference in width of the image on the front vs back of the bill and it seemed specific to the 1928 2$. On the note shown the back image width is 7-8 MM less than the front and you can see the amount of open area on the bill. Just trying to see if there was any potential truth to that. See the pics. Thank you for looking/reading!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3641 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only small-size $2 Legal Tenders Mules I'm aware of are series 1928C and 1928D. I got this information from the Schwartz/Lindquist small-size guide and double checked it by looking at the PMG population report. Series 1928C & D are the only $2 LT's with Mules in its pop report.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add enzeno to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes this goes along with what I had found too. That would answer the question for sure about it being a Mule - the timing of even when they could have been made meaning there is no possibility of there being a Series F that is also a Mule. But I haven't found those dates.

But I still do find it odd that the back of this bill is so skinny vs the front. Comparing it to another Series F 1928 the width is approx 145 MM on one, and on the bill shown it is 142 MM wide from edge to edge of the green area. So the bill shown is 3 MM skinnier than another 1928 Series F, with no real hint in the image as to why.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3641 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slight variations of size is sometimes attributed to the fact that these were printed on dampened paper.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add enzeno to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies. Consensus seems to be there is nothing special about this bill. Thanks for your help @SteveInTampa.
Valued Member
Canada
258 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westy00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is a mule ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3641 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What is a mule ?

In the animal kingdom, it's the offspring of a male donkey (jack) and a female horse (mare).
In the paper money universe it's a note with a macro sized plate number on one side and a micro sized plate number on the other. Usually indicating a plate used from a previous series.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67588 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In neither case can they reproduce.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67588 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Out of curiosity, is there the possibility of an offspring between a male horse and a female donkey?
Learn More...
United States
112066 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2021  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Out of curiosity, is there the possibility of an offspring between a male horse and a female donkey?
Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinny
Valued Member
United Kingdom
150 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Orac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Out of on topic curiousity, I do happen to have a mule $2. It cost me $8 at a show (about 100 years ago), it was the star that caught my eye.
Is it still worth the $8 I paid for it, I wonder.

Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add enzeno to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an expert on this bill by any means - but I think we need to see the other side to verify that its a mule. And mule or not, its worth a heck of a lot more than you paid for it if you really only paid 8 bucks for it considering its a replacement star, even considering its condition.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3641 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2021  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's no evidence of mules being printed for 1928C $2 replacement notes. Regular 1928C $2 notes yes, but stars, no.
Edited to add - A 1928C $2 replacement note is a 3-figure note regardless of its condition.
Edited by SteveInTampa
12/03/2021 1:39 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 798Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: