Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Would You Buy If You Had Exactly $1 Million To Spend On Coins?

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 1,087Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very good question, and I loved to read other's creative responses. Without a heavy amount of research on what coins would be the best buy, I would stick with the coins I am working on.
If I had a million dollars to spend, I would get:
(10) 1864 proof two cents
1793 chain cent
1815 Bust Half
Also completing these following sets:
Bust Halves
Dansco Type Gold
Morgan dollar
Peace dollar
You know what.... I'll just complete all my sets

And the remaining amount will go towards my college education!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7442 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Already been said but for me it would be the Pan Pac octagonal $50. Would have been nice to attend that one!

How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Learn More...
United States
104754 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even though I have a complete PCGS Ike set, I might as well build a second one to reach the top of the registry list.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1943 copper cent.
Valued Member
United States
469 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be comfortable spending the entire million on coins, I'd have to have 30 or 40 million in my bank account. If I had that much in my bank account, the extra million wouldn't change my coin purchases at all. If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to spend the million on coins, I'd probably buy a bunch of early dollars and halves along with a variety of early proofs. basically, a high-end type set. I wouldn't blow it all on a single rare coin.
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinEnthusiast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent question. Provided I was required to spend all of the money on coins, meaning I couldn't save or invest, I would start by completing my capped bust dime series. I just purchased an 1820 "statesof" variety about a week ago, so all that remains is an 1809, 1811, 1814 small date, 1814 "statesof," 1822, and 1823 small E's. From there, I would assemble a full draped bust dime set, save for the 1805, which I already have. I'd then try to find nicely circulated capped bust and Draped Bust quarters, specifically making sure I got my hands on the 1796 and 1804 Draped Bust quarters. Some coins that I would love to add after completing these sets include a 1792 half disme, 1793 chain cent, 1794 flowing hair half dollar, 1794 flowing hair half dime, 1796 Likerty half dime, and a 1793 liberty cap Half Cent. With any leftover funding, I'd satisfy my coin roll hunting obsession and search through as many pennies as my heart desired.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is assuming that all of the million goes to coins and I'm not saving or investing in anything:

I'm not a big set collector so I would probably start with a High grade Fugio Cent. I would then move onto purchase a high grade 1955 DDO FS-101 Lincoln Cent for my variety collection as well as a 1969-S DDO FS-101.

With the money I had left, I would likely buy more colonial-type coins for my collection, likely many more Fugio cents and the occasional New Jersey coppers, vermontesium coppers and other colonials. Heck, nearly any colonial type coin design I find nice and collectible.

Any high value coins I buy will be slabbed too!

With money I have left I would cherrypick anything I desire, hunt OBW rolls of Lincoln cents, coin roll hunt and buy silver coins for my stack!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Varieties and Colonial Coinage
Edited by CoinHunter27
10/13/2021 2:30 pm
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaberwoke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since the only truly artistic US coins were made from 1878 through 1930 something, I'd find the highest graded, but visually attractive... Morgan, Mercury, Standing Liberty, Walking Liberty, Indian Quarter Eagle, Indian Eagle, St Gauden and several of the early $.50 commemoratives. Before and after, US coin designs are just plain, utilitarian money.
Edited by jaberwoke
10/13/2021 9:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8421 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  12:31 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
jacrispies: If I had a million dollars to spend, I would get:
(10) 1864 proof two cents

Yeah about that...good luck finding 10,

heck good luck finding even 1. I've tracked every single sale since the 1880's, I know fairly I'm accurate on them since the 1940's and it seems they pop up about once 1-2 years. Seems like the same 6 or 7 keep making the rounds, though they change TPG slabs and grades they are the same coins, which can make it tough to track them.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  01:54 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
westcoin- I was wondering if you were going to comment on that. It is very cool that you've tracked all of the sales. I was thinking it would be cool to own 10% of the original mintage, and have that much power in a niche market! They seem pretty cheap for what they are.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
313 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  02:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Heck, good luck finding even one. I've tracked every single sale since the 1880's...

Wow, so my math says you must be well over 140 years old!

I knew participating in our wonderful hobby of Numismatics was good for one's health! Here's living proof!

Steve
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Edited by Winesteven
10/14/2021 02:10 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2373 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oregon Gold Beavers until it was all gone. From looking at Heritage, that should get me a dozen fives or three tens.

Availability is the major problem.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
10/14/2021 11:39 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1644 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm I would but 1 million non coloured 2021 loonies, worst case I have 1 million dollars for any coins I want to buy, best case I have every single 2021 loonie non coloured minted anyone who wanted one would have to go through me direct to get one lol. In which case the 1 million dollars would be worth more then 1 million dollars
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
482 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikev50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1838-O bust half dollar---
Learn More...
United States
104754 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  2:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hmm I would but 1 million non coloured 2021 loonies, worst case I have 1 million dollars for any coins I want to buy, best case I have every single 2021 loonie non coloured minted anyone who wanted one would have to go through me direct to get one lol. In which case the 1 million dollars would be worth more then 1 million dollars
Sounds like a reasonable plan to me.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 1,087Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05