Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

GTG 1892 25c - Not Mine

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 247Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1938 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  12:18 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not my coin, seller images. I'm just curious how members would see the grade, as I was a bit perplexed by the auction results. Please mention a variety if you see one.

Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  12:34 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58
Appears to be the usual Barber slider.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3080 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  01:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost certainly been dipped. Appears to have slight wear to the high points. I'd call it AU Details, cleaned. AU58/MS63 if it straight graded.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19086 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  02:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps it has been cleaned, but the luster is still attractive.
I had other ideas about the grading, but after examining the high points,
AU-55.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10673 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the glare looks like it may be hiding some of the marks across the profile. AU58. cleaned? I dont think so with these photos. dipped? maybe but not enough to details the coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61508 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly no less than 58. I lean toward 63 straight.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/12/2021 09:07 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9992 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a considerable amount of perhaps, "pocket wear" on the highest surfaces of the design. The entire cheek, half the neck, the cap and laureate leaves are showing considerable rub. On the reverse, eagle head wing tips and claws show similar surface wear as well as the shield.
No contact marks from being jingled with other coins though in my opinion. Lots of luster so I think the wear brings it down to an honest AU55.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15957 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going with surfaces not original . Seems to be a lot of album sliding on obverse . Feather tips may have a little wear or strike slightly weak . AU-58+ to MS-63+ Details

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
7442 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has great eye appeal to me. I agree with dipped and also wear on the neck, cheeks, etc. AU58.

A beauty!
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1938 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The comments by @TNG align with what I was thinking. I'll wait for more guesses before commenting further.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2391 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LMDS obverse and reverse, with quite a few early radial die cracks. Soft central strike. IMHO, the surfaces are original. The peripheral album toning isn't new. There are several very light NW-SE surface scratches on the obverse, with no matching scratches on the reverse. This is cabinet rub.

I see evidence of a soft strike, but cannot see conclusive evidence of circulation. The toning coincides with typical circulation locations, but the surface underneath the toning on the reverse does not show contact marks, circulation scratches, or evident wear. This may very well be a slider, but if not the surfaces are at least MS-64 and very likely MS-65. Put me in for AU-58/MS-64.

Type I reverse, with possible doubling on OF AMERICA. Type 1 is a bit of a tough variety in higher grades.

Very nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1938 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58+ CAC. Guesses ranged from AU55 to MS64, with several people hedging their bets. What made me most curious was that it sold for $605 with BP (on GC), and there were 34 bids. Numismedia says $204 in AU58, PCGS says $225. Somebody paid 64+ money for it - why? Yes, it's a Type 1 Rev, marginally less common than the Type 2, but they were still saved in large numbers and I don't perceive many people collecting these by type. There are a DDO, TDO, and TDR variety but I don't see how you could ID them from the seller images. What gives? It's a nice coin but it went for almost triple the trend prices.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15957 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From your last photo of PCGS slabbed coin , I'll say the bright clean fields had a lot to do with the over price .
Just sayin .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2391 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. Don't see a plus on a 58 very often.

I wonder if the bidders saw the fields and luster and were betting strongly on snagging MS on a resubmit? It's not out of the question, especially with a bean on top of a plus.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5639 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse shows strong luster, very few marks, and no wear that I can see. Obverse retains luster but high points have slight detail loss and discoloration from friction, enough to preclude any MS grade. The AU-58 slot fits, with a + added to recognize the luster and solid eye appeal.
Does seem like it sold for more than it's worth.
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

There are very few contact marks, but still rub on obverse. This makes sense, and I agree with the grade.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 247Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05