Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Austria 1819 20 Kreutzer - Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 264Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
728 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  3:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I see coins like this pretty often. Specifically, I'm wondering about the cuts to the reverse. I believe they were put there by the mint to adjust the weight of the coin, but I'm not sure. I'm guessing they would modify the die, but am not sure what they do.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1240 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight adjustments can be done with a file, but normally on the edge.
I'm not certain, but I don't think that practice would have been done on a coin like this.
To me it looks like scratches.
Damage of some sort.
Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Damage of some sort.

Albert, check this out from Heritage Auctions (MS-62 French Ecu). https://coins.ha.com/itm/france/fra...pe=NGC231344

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19265 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen a few 20K's in much the same sort of condition this one, and also with the same sorts of 'sratches'

Leads me to think that perhaps? the weight adjustment was done by the Mint after the coin was struck, rather than on the blank or planchet before the coin was struck.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2399 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Adjustment marks are usually parallel scratches on the coin. They are done after minting, in order to fix overweight coins and recover the metal. They look like defacement, but graders recognize what they are. Here's another French example. I have not seen this done past the 1820's.

"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
10/13/2021 07:22 am
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3676 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They are done after minting, in order to fix overweight coins and recover the metal.
AFAIK adjustment marks were typically made on the planchet, prior to striking. If done post-strike they would probably have been indistinguishable from post-mint damage.
Pillar of the Community
United States
728 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add otto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
AFAIK adjustment marks were typically made on the planchet

This makes a lot of sense. Thanks.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 264Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: