Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Oldest US Nickel I Have Come Across So Far 1949

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 516Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1678 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  4:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Nothing special probably but when I find an early year that I don't have I like to share. Picked up 16 rolls of nickels on lunch today and found this guy, before this the earliest nickel I found was 1964 and it was in a fair bit worse condition then this. I haven't researched the year yet so I will later at home and check it out with my scope. I read a post that there is possible master hub doubling on these years so I'll have to avoid that.

I love finding older American coins as it's fairly rare to find even modern ones. I don't really have a nickel collection for USA but I keep them all in case I start one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
655 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice!
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
ANA # 3204217
CONECA # Y-6505
Learn More...
United States
104958 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1678 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just found a bare belly 1990 while omw home on the bus( at least a partial bare belly but possibly full) I will post when I get home.!!! I have been looking for this one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1185 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice. From that period, 1949 is a less common one to find than 1940, 1941, or 1946.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61691 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a lot of value, unfortunately.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1678 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nick10 thanks for the info.
I know this guy is not great shape but not horrible, definitely a keeper for me. I think I have only found 2 1950 Canadian nickels so far so this was a surprising find for me.
Learn More...
United States
20937 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a lot of value but I squirrel away any nickel from 1959 and earlier. For me this would go in a roll with other old nickels pulled from circulation.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1678 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Value of the coin doesn't matter to much to me, if I get something I don't have for the face value is a nice find.
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Riellyscions to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A 1949 found in the wild is a GREAT find !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1678 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's rare for me to find American nickels in Canada and they are all usually post 1980,so I was quite happy to find it.

Learn More...
United States
104958 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's rare for me to find American nickels in Canada and they are all usually post 1980,so I was quite happy to find it.
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmgi2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Are those 12 sided nickels still a common find in Canadian rolls?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7449 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Value of the coin doesn't matter to much to me, if I get something I don't have for the face value is a nice find.

And THAT is someone who really has coin collecting in their genes
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1678 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Jmgi2020, I have not gone though enough to say they are common, from my personal experience I'd say 1/40 rolls has had one, post Victoria 1/200. I have gone through about 2000 ish nickel rolls so I can't say if my luck has been bad or good, it has been fun though:)

@Earl42, thank you. Building a starter collection roll hunting is hard lol, and in Canada it is harder to come by American coins. Finding any year and mm I don't have is a good find finding an older coin is great.
Valued Member
United States
176 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2021  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The world has certainly changed. My first coin collecting in the early 1970s was filling a Jefferson nickel Whitman album from circulation. I was able to get nearly all of the years and mints from circulation, including a 1950-D and all but two of the silver nickels. Of course that was almost a half century ago. It was fun to fill the album and end up with all but five or six of the issues from 1938 to the 1970s.
Edited by Erscolo
10/19/2021 2:33 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 516Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05