Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Full Or Partial Bare Belly 1990 Nickel?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 1,007Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1678 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  6:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this one today, just got home so only took a quick photo. It's definitely a bare belly and bigger then some I have seen but idk if it is a full bare belly. I'll post some better photos in a little bit. Have to eat and put my son to bed.

Full or partial I'm happy to finally have found one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
671 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to coinsandcanada.com, the one you found might be more a partial bare belly, but still cool, and any bare belly here would probably fit the description just fine to me .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1678 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya the photo is not great definitely close to full bare belly but partial sounds right. I have seen much smaller ones though so I'm happy to have finally found one it's in decent shape as well:) I'll post a better photo in a bit.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1678 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2021  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I have read I am still not sure what causes this. It does not appear to be an over polished die, or Die Deterioration. Yet there seems to be more than one severity. I tried looking it up, half the info led me to this site but not to an article with a definitive answer.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3924 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Design elements of a die are recessed, so die polishing isn't going to do much to any of the elements. To me, it just looks like a weak strike or wear.
Valued Member
Canada
288 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  07:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a b.b imo. A better pic would probably help.
There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1678 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  07:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a B.B here are full shots. Didn't get a chance to get photos last night

Edit:posted the obverse twice lol.

Edited by Wrekkdd
10/13/2021 07:44 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1678 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So info when I look up the BB 1990 nickel says it has to do with over polished die, is this true? Also what causes the horizontal lines where the belly should be?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1045 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bare bellies occur when a reverse die has been over polished, the lines you are seeing is just from the polishing.

Since you still have half the belly left it would be considered a partial bare belly, it is also one of the more commonly found versions, full bare belly coming in as being much harder to find.
Searching Canadian Small Cents daily since 2018.

Some of my Discoveries.
1941 Georgivs VI 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/367977
1951 Georgivs VI 1 Cent DDO Type 2 http://goccf.com/t/363635
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO Type 1 http://goccf.com/t/373627
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO Type 2 http://goccf.com/t/408163
1989 Belize 25 Cent's DDR http://goccf.com/t/362747
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1678 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks johnwayn007, ya I can say this is definitely not a full one, but as I had no examples untill I found this it's a vary nice find for me. I'm trying to start a nickel collection on the side if sorting through my pennies. Had no luck today with nickels but I out aside all the pre 1980 nickels I find to check for doubled dies. I think I found an extra claw earlier today shortly after waking up but I'll have to check when I'm not half asleep lol.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3924 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
007 ... How can overpolishing a die have anything to do with the belly? It makes no sense.
Valued Member
Canada
288 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinman91 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a bit strange it seemed to only affect the belly on the beaver and no additional detail. In my research I have also heard many people describe it as a progressive die polishing creating different die stages of a "bare belly". Also to note this error occurs in 1998 which I have posted here before as well.
There's always two sides to the coin if you have the patience to see. -Kathryn Budig
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1678 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only call it a die polish because that's what everything says on all the different websites though I agree with okie and coinman91, it does not quite make sense for die polishing to effect this area but not other ones around it. That's why I have continued to question if it is a die polish error.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1678 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That part of the belly would be the hight point in the die for that area, so polishing the die down would not make the area strike deeper into the coin , shouldn't it have the opposite effect if it was a die polish issue? If anything it is like the die struck a coin and the die retained the metal in that spot, causing each strike to erase the design that should be there. I imagine If the die retained metal from a coin and struck many other coins the piece of retained metal would slowly break away causing a smaller and smaller bare belly coin untill it was fully broken off.

Is it possible the bare belly nickels are actually caused by retained metal from another coin? I'm trying to wrap my head around it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3585 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That part of the belly would be the hight point in the die for that area,

That would be incorrect. the closer the area to the coin, the less metal that has to be moved by the strike.

The belly is very close to the middle of the coin. The head and thighs would be further away. it almost looks like the design of the log running under the beaver..

Most likely , they over polished the die, then re engraved it with the lines going the wrong way...
Pillar of the Community
United States
671 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless there were multiple dies used for the reverse with various stages of die polish? Just a thought
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 45 / Views: 1,007Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05