Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1882-O Morgan Thoughts?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 199Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  06:43 am Show Profile   Check OriginalAtog's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add OriginalAtog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey I am looking for thoughts on this 1882-O Morgan. What do you think of its Quality, Toning, Grade? There is a good size rim ding around 2-3 o'clock on the obverse side.

Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United States
8075 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looks MS with the typical New Orleans Mint strike weakness in the center, hair above ear in obverse and eagle's breast in the reverse. Having said that, the luster of the coin is muted. That could be because it was dipped too long or because the lighting wasn't ideal when the picture was taken.

Another issue is that only the obverse has peripheral album toning. If it is album toning it's a little strange that it only appears in the obverse and none in the reverse. [Mint]Bag toning, which looks completely different, shows up on only one side because usually only one side of the coin is exposed to the canvas bag. With album toning, you would expect the periphery of both sides to be toned to some extent. Morgans, especially higher grade examples, weren't often placed in one sided coin boards.

The coin could also have spent a long time at the end of a wrapped roll of coins, but that toning is again different from what we see here because we would expect the edges nearest to the rim to be unexposed and the center to be exposed to oxidation and therefore toned.

How does the coin's luster look in hand? If the coin has luster, can you see if you can capture it in photos?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4608 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cheek looks rubbed to me IMO. I would be at AU-58, but I believe the toning is artificial, so unfortunately I have to say AU details.
Edited by Adam_E
10/13/2021 3:55 pm
Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58, agree with light circulation and some question about the surfaces. Hard to tell how bad the rim ding is too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
843 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with AU-58 and toning may be the lighting but looks artificial to me.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10673 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the coin is not MS and most likely a little too much dipping into the pool. the 82(O) are normally of average strike. this one may be a tad short but thats going to affect much in the way of grading. AU58. 50/50 chance it would come back straight
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
633 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure about the toning, but I'm at AU58 on this. I'm 99% sure it would not grade higher than that judging from the photos provided.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9992 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Long term end of roll coin per toning on obverse?
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
644 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One thing also is you can check out vamworld.com to check out any cool vams associated with this, such as the popular O/S omm, vams 3, 4, and 5. When I look at an 1882-O, or 1900-O, literally the first thing I do is look at the mintmark for anything cool.
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Check OriginalAtog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add OriginalAtog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to get a better picture of the coin up at some point. I acquired the coin recently and this was how it came. I was thing the toning maybe album toning, but could also be artificial. The toning was the main thing I was questioning. I haven't dug into the VAMS yet But I guess I should start digging. hahaha
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61507 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at AU-58 as well. Toning questionable.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22811 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2021  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice looking AU-58 slider.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 199Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05