Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1873 Trade Dollar With Strange Reverse

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 288Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
7896 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  10:17 am Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I can't find an example of a Trade dollar with this reverse. Any ideas ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265347598850
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9992 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  10:43 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This matches the Judd-1322 pattern. It could possibly be a war-torn pattern, but I have my doubts. The lettering on the reverse has its minute differences after comparing the two coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61508 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't seem to be anywhere near the same degree of detail on the eagle in the OP's coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3184 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was a pattern design in 1873, No 5 AW 1308. The obverse was used for the Trade dollar and the reverse came from another pattern design. It may or may not be genuine. It appears a lot of money for a holed pattern coin.

Interesting that the eBay seller does not have a clue what he is selling. This would trend me to think that the coin is fake.
Edited by Slider23
10/13/2021 11:15 am
Learn More...
United States
35121 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Free opinion: Genuine
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
Pillar of the Community
United States
6064 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another free opinion: Genuine, but horrifically damaged. It is what it is.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61508 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Repeated comparisons of the eagle's feather detail on the two coins, given their respective obverse sharpness, leaves me on the "not genuine" side of the fence.
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The wear looks legitimate, but the colors seem artificial. Polished to oblivion, a large hole, and possibly some exposure to heat. I wonder what this would look like in hand. A very unique coin that is for sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6064 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With 20 min to go there seem to be 10 bidders showing interest. (I'm not one of them!)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61508 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same, comical to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7896 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys, I was searching patterns but just couldn't find it. Crazy final price.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
61508 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nuts price, even if genuine, which I doubt.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1556 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2021  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nuts price, even if genuine, which I doubt.

All part of the mania that is gripping the Collectibles Market these days.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 288Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05